Section 3313.618 | Diploma requirements.
(A) In addition to the applicable curriculum requirements, each student entering ninth grade for the first time on or after July 1, 2014, shall satisfy at least one of the following conditions in order to qualify for a high school diploma:
(1) Be remediation-free, in accordance with standards adopted under division (F) of section 3345.061 of the Revised Code, on each of the nationally standardized assessments in English, mathematics, and reading;
(2) Attain a score specified under division (B)(5)(c) of section 3301.0712 of the Revised Code on the end-of-course examinations prescribed under division (B) of section 3301.0712 of the Revised Code.
(3) Attain a score that demonstrates workforce readiness and employability on a nationally recognized job skills assessment selected by the state board of education under division (G) of section 3301.0712 of the Revised Code and obtain either an industry-recognized credential, as described under division (B)(2)(d) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code, or a license issued by a state agency or board for practice in a vocation that requires an examination for issuance of that license.
The state board shall approve the industry-recognized credentials and licenses that may qualify a student for a high school diploma under division (A)(3) of this section.
A student may choose to qualify for a high school diploma by satisfying any of the separate requirements prescribed by divisions (A)(1) to (3) of this section. If the student's school district or school does not administer the examination prescribed by one of those divisions that the student chooses to take to satisfy the requirements of this section, the school district or school may require that student to arrange for the applicable scores to be sent directly to the district or school by the company or organization that administers the examination.
(B) The state board of education shall not create or require any additional assessment for the granting of any type of high school diploma other than as prescribed by this section. Except as provided in section 3313.6111 of the Revised Code, the state board shall not create any endorsement or designation that may be affiliated with a high school diploma.
Last updated October 1, 2021 at 4:57 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 17, 2014 – House Bill 487 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 17, 2014 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – House Bill 367 - 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- March 16, 2017 – Amended by Senate Bill 3 - 131st General Assembly [ View March 16, 2017 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 554 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]