Section 3313.643 | Eye protective devices.
Every student and teacher of a school, college, or other educational institution shall wear industrial quality eye protective devices at all times while participating in or observing any of the following courses:
(A) Vocational, technical, industrial arts, fine arts, chemical, physical, or combined chemical-physical educational activities, involving exposure to:
(1) Hot molten metals or other molten materials;
(2) Milling, sawing, drilling, turning, shaping, cutting, grinding, buffing, or stamping of any solid materials;
(3) Heat treatment, tempering, or kiln firing of any metal or other materials;
(4) Gas or electric arc welding or other forms of welding processes;
(5) Repair or servicing of any vehicle;
(6) Caustic or explosive materials ;
(B) Chemical, physical, or combined chemical-physical laboratories involving caustic or explosive materials, hot liquids or solids, injurious radiations, or other hazards.
Such devices may be furnished for all students and teachers, purchased and sold at cost to students and teachers, or made available for a moderate rental fee, and shall be furnished for all visitors to such shops and laboratories.
The superintendent of public instruction, or any other appropriate educational authority designated by the superintendent, shall prepare and circulate to each public and private educational institution in this state instructions and recommendations for implementing the eye safety provisions of this section. The bureau of workers' compensation shall ensure compliance with this section.
"Industrial quality eye protective devices" as used in this section, means devices meeting the standards of the American national standard practice for occupational and educational eye and face protection, Z87.1-1968, approved by the American national standards institute, inc., and subsequent revisions thereof, provided such revisions are approved and adopted by the industrial commission.
Available Versions of this Section
- November 3, 1989 – House Bill 222, 118th General Assembly [ View November 3, 1989 Version ]