Section 3313.92 | Joint school building projects.
(A) The boards of education of any two or more school districts may, subject to the approval of the department of education and workforce, enter into agreements for the joint or cooperative construction, acquisition, or improvement of any building, structure, or facility benefiting the parties thereto, including, without limitation, schools and classrooms for the purpose of Chapter 3323. of the Revised Code, and for the management, operation, occupancy, use, maintenance, or repair thereof, or for the joint or cooperative participation in programs, projects, activities, or services in connection with such buildings, structures, or facilities, including participation in the Ohio education computer network established by section 3301.075 of the Revised Code.
(B) Any agreement entered into under authority of this section shall, where appropriate, provide for:
(1) The method by which the building, structure, or facility shall be constructed, acquired, or improved and by which it shall be managed, occupied, maintained, and repaired, and specifically a designation of one of the boards of education to take and have exclusive charge of any and all details of construction, acquisition, or improvement, including any advertising for bids and the award of any construction or improvement contract pursuant to the law applicable to such board of education;
(2) The manner in which the title to the buildings, structures, or facilities, including the sites and interests in real estate necessary therefor, is to be held by one or more of such boards of education;
(3) The management or administration of any such programs, projects, activities, services, or joint exercise of powers, which may include management or administration by one of said boards of education;
(4) The manner of apportionment or sharing of all of the costs, or specified classes of costs, including without limitation costs of planning, construction, acquisition, improvement, management, operation, maintenance, or repair of such buildings, structures, or facilities, or of planning and conducting such programs or projects, or obtaining such services, which apportionment or sharing may be based on fixed amounts, or on ratios or formulas, or affected through tuitions to be contributed by the parties or in such manner therein provided.
(C) Any agreement entered into under authority of this section may provide for:
(1) An orderly process for making determinations as to planning, execution, implementation, and operation, which may include provisions for a committee, board, or commission, and for representation thereon;
(2) Securing necessary personnel, including participation of teachers and other personnel from the respective school districts;
(3) Standards or conditions for the admission or participation of students and others, including students from other school districts;
(4) Conditions for admittance of other school districts to participation under the agreement;
(5) Fixing or establishing the method of determining special charges to be made for particular services or materials;
(6) The manner of amending, supplementing, terminating, or withdrawal or removal of any party from, the agreement, and the term of the agreement or an indefinite term;
(7) Designation of the applicants for or recipients of any state, federal, or other aid, assistance, or loans available by reason of any activities conducted under the agreement;
(8) Designation of one or more of the participating boards of education to maintain, prepare, and submit, on behalf of all parties to the agreement, any or all records and reports with regard to the activities conducted under the agreement, including without limitation those required under sections 3301.14, 3313.50, 3319.32 to 3319.37, 3321.12, 3323.08, and 3323.13 of the Revised Code;
(9) Such other matters as the parties thereto may agree upon for the purposes of division (A) of this section.
(D) For the purpose of paying or contributing its share under an agreement made under this section, a board of education may:
(1) Appropriate any moneys from its general fund, and from any other funds not otherwise restricted by law, including funds for permanent improvements of such board of education where the contribution is to be made toward the cost of permanent improvements under the agreement;
(2) Issue bonds, and notes in anticipation thereof, under Chapter 133. and section 3311.20 of the Revised Code for any permanent improvement, as defined in section 133.01 of the Revised Code, to be provided under such agreement;
(3) Levy taxes, and issue notes in anticipation thereof, under Chapters 3311. and 5705. of the Revised Code pertaining to such board of education, provided that the purpose of such levy may include the provision of funds for either or both permanent improvements and current operating expenses required as the share of such board of education under such agreement;
(4) Contribute real and personal property for use under such agreement without necessity for competitive bidding on disposition of such property.
(E) Funds provided by the parties to an agreement entered into under this section, whether by appropriation, the levy of taxes, the issuance of bonds or notes, or otherwise, shall be transferred to and placed in a separate fund or funds of such participating board of education as is designated the fiscal agent for such purpose under the agreement, shall be appropriated to and shall be applied for the purposes provided in such agreement, and shall be subject to audit and, pursuant to any determinations to be made as provided under such agreement, shall be deposited, invested, and disbursed under the provisions of law applicable to the board of education in whose custody those funds are held; and the records and reports of such board of education under Chapter 117. of the Revised Code with respect to those funds shall be sufficient without necessity for reports thereon by the other boards of education participating under such agreement.
(F) As used in this section, "construction, acquisition, or improvement of any building, structure, or facility" also includes acquisition of real estate and interests in real estate therefor, site improvements, and furniture, furnishings, and equipment therefor. Buildings, structures, or facilities constructed, acquired, or improved under this section may, subject to the agreement, be used for any lawful purpose by each party so long as the use thereof is an authorized proper use for that party.
(G) Any agreement entered into under this section shall be subject to any laws hereafter enacted making express reference therein to this section and requiring the transfer of any functions exercised or properties held under such agreement to any public officer, board, or body heretofore or hereafter established, or requiring the termination of such agreement, or otherwise affecting the agreement.
(H) The powers granted in this section are supplementary to, and not in derogation of or restriction upon, all other powers of boards of education of school districts, and are to be liberally construed to permit the achievement of the objectives of this section and to permit the boards of education to take advantage of federal grant and loan programs, provided that the exercise of such powers shall be subject to such audit and regulation as would be applicable if exercised under any other provision of the Revised Code.
Last updated July 31, 2023 at 5:32 PM