Section 3313.983 | Joint vocational school district to adopt policy for enrollment of students from adjacent or other district.
(A) The board of education of each joint vocational school district shall adopt a policy pertaining to enrollment of students who, upon enrollment, will be adjacent district joint vocational students except that, in lieu of such a policy, a board may adopt a policy pertaining to enrollment of students who, upon enrollment, will be other district joint vocational students. Any such policy to enroll other district joint vocational students shall apply beginning with the school year that commences July 1, 1998.
A policy adopted under this section shall provide for all of the following:
(1) Application procedures, including procedures for notifying any future adjacent district or other district joint vocational students, as applicable, and the superintendent of the city, exempted village, or local school districts in which they are also enrolled whenever their applications are approved;
(2) Procedures for admitting to the district applicants who will be, as applicable, adjacent district or other district joint vocational students, including, but not limited to:
(a) The establishment of district capacity limits by grade level, school building, and education program;
(b) A requirement that all students entitled under section 3313.64 or 3313.65 of the Revised Code to attend school in a district that has territory in the joint vocational school district will be enrolled in the district ahead of any adjacent district or other district joint vocational students;
(c) A requirement that any previously enrolled adjacent district or other district joint vocational student, as applicable, shall receive preference over first-time applicants to become adjacent district or other district joint vocational students.
(B) The procedures for admitting students who will be, as applicable, adjacent district or other district joint vocational students shall not include:
(1) Any requirement of academic ability, or any level of athletic, artistic, or other extracurricular skills;
(2) Limitations on admitting applicants because of disability, except that a board may refuse to admit an applicant receiving services under Chapter 3323. of the Revised Code if the services described in the student's IEP are not available in the district;
(3) A requirement that the student be proficient in the English language;
(4) Rejection of any applicant because the student has been subject to disciplinary proceedings, except that if an applicant has been suspended or expelled by any school district for ten consecutive days or more in the term for which admission is sought or in the term immediately preceding the term for which admission is sought, the procedures may include a provision denying admission of such applicant.
(C) The board of education of each joint vocational school district shall provide information about the policy it adopts under this section, including the application procedures, to the superintendent and the board of education of each city, exempted village, and local school district with territory in the district and, upon request, to the parent of any student who could become, as applicable, an adjacent district or other district joint vocational student of the district.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2007 – House Bill 119 - 127th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2007 Version ]