Section 3314.016 | Entities sponsoring community schools.
This section applies to any entity that sponsors a community school, regardless of whether section 3314.021 or 3314.027 of the Revised Code exempts the entity from the requirement to be approved for sponsorship under divisions (A)(2) and (B)(1) of section 3314.015 of the Revised Code. The office of Ohio school sponsorship established under section 3314.029 of the Revised Code shall be ranked under division (B) of this section, but divisions (A) and (C) of this section do not apply to the office.
(A) An entity that sponsors a community school shall be permitted to enter into contracts under section 3314.03 of the Revised Code to sponsor additional community schools only if the entity meets both of the following criteria:
(1) The entity is in compliance with all provisions of this chapter requiring sponsors of community schools to report data or information to the department of education.
(2) The entity is not ranked in the lowest twenty per cent of community school sponsors on the ranking prescribed by division (B) of this section.
(B)(1) For purposes of this section, the department shall develop a composite performance index score, as defined in section 3302.01 of the Revised Code, that measures the academic performance of students enrolled in community schools sponsored by the same entity.
(2) In calculating an entity's composite performance index score, the department shall exclude all of the following:
(a) All community schools that have been in operation for less than two full school years;
(b) All community schools described in division (A)(3) of section 3314.35 of the Revised Code, but the department shall cease to exclude the schools described in division (A)(3)(a) of that section if those schools become subject to closure under division (D) of that section.
(3) The department annually shall rank all entities that sponsor community schools from highest to lowest according to the entities' composite performance index scores and shall publish the rankings between the first day of October and the fifteenth day of October.
(C) If the governing authority of a community school enters into a contract with a sponsor prior to the date on which the sponsor is prohibited from sponsoring additional schools under division (A) of this section and the school has not opened for operation as of that date, that contract shall be void and the school shall not open until the governing authority secures a new sponsor by entering into a contract with the new sponsor under section 3314.03 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 24, 2012 – Senate Bill 316, 129th General Assembly [ View September 24, 2012 Version ]
- January 1, 2015 – House Bill 555, 129th General Assembly [ View January 1, 2015 Version ]
- February 1, 2016 – House Bill 2, 131st General Assembly [ View February 1, 2016 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- September 28, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 21, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 28, 2018 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]