Section 3314.29 | Division of certain internet- or computer-based community school.
(A) This section applies to any internet- or computer-based community school that meets all of the following conditions:
(1) Serves all of grades kindergarten through twelve;
(2) Has an enrollment of at least two thousand students;
(3) Has a sponsor that was not rated ineffective or poor on its most recent evaluation under section 3314.016 of the Revised Code.
(B) Beginning with the 2018-2019 school year, the governing authority of a community school to which this section applies may adopt a resolution to divide the school into two or three separate schools as follows:
(1) If the school is divided into two schools, one school shall serve grades kindergarten through eight and one school shall serve grades nine through twelve.
(2) If the school is divided into three schools, one school shall serve grades kindergarten through five, one school shall serve grades six through eight, and one school shall serve grades nine through twelve.
(C) The resolution adopted by the governing authority shall not be effective unless approved by the school's sponsor. Following approval of the resolution by the sponsor, and by the fifteenth day of March prior to the school year in which it will take effect, the governing authority shall file the resolution with the department of education. The division of the schools shall be effective on the first day of July succeeding the date the resolution is filed with the department.
(D) All of the following shall apply to each new school created as a result of the resolution authorized by this section and to the school that is divided as a result of the resolution:
(1) Each school shall have the same governing authority.
(2) The sponsor and governing authority shall enter into a separate contract under section 3314.03 of the Revised Code for each school.
(3) No school shall primarily serve students enrolled in a dropout prevention and recovery program operated by the school.
(4) No school shall be permitted to divide again under this section.
(5) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in division (B)(2) of section 3314.016 of the Revised Code, each school shall be included in the calculation of the academic performance component for purposes of rating the schools' sponsor under the evaluation system prescribed by that section.
(6) Each school shall be subject to the laws contained in Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, except as otherwise specified in this section.
(E) The department shall issue a report card under section 3314.012 of the Revised Code for each new school created as a result of the resolution authorized by this section and for the school that is divided as a result of the resolution. For purposes of the report cards and other reporting requirements under this chapter, the department shall assign the school that serves the highest grades the same internal retrieval number previously used by the school that is divided under this section. The department shall assign a new internal retrieval number to each other school resulting from the division.
Notwithstanding division (B) of section 3314.012 of the Revised Code, the ratings a school receives on its report card for the first two full school years after the division under this section shall count toward closure of the school under section 3314.35 of the Revised Code and any other matter that is based on report card ratings or measures.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2017 – Enacted by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]