Section 3318.70 | Funding to assist STEM schools in the acquisition of classroom facilities.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Acquisition of classroom facilities" has the same meaning as in section 3318.40 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Classroom facilities" has the same meaning as in section 3318.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) "STEM school" means a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code that is not governed by a single school district board of education, as prescribed by section 3326.51 of the Revised Code.
(B) The Ohio facilities construction commission shall establish guidelines for assisting STEM schools in the acquisition of classroom facilities.
(C) Upon receipt of a written proposal by the governing body of a STEM school, the commission, subject to approval of the controlling board, shall provide funding to assist that STEM school in the acquisition of classroom facilities. The proposal of the governing body shall be submitted in a form and in the manner prescribed by the commission. The proposal shall indicate both the total amount of funding requested from the commission and the amount of other funding pledged for the acquisition of the classroom facilities, the latter of which shall not be less than the total amount of funding requested from the commission. Once the commission determines a proposal meets its established guidelines and if the controlling board approves that funding, the commission shall enter into an agreement with the governing body for the acquisition of the classroom facilities and shall encumber, in accordance with section 3318.11 of the Revised Code, the approved funding from the amounts appropriated to the commission for classroom facilities assistance projects. The agreement shall include a stipulation of the ownership of the classroom facilities in the event the STEM school permanently closes at any time.
(D) In the case of the governing body of a group of STEM schools, as prescribed by section 3326.031 of the Revised Code, the governing body shall submit a proposal for each school under its direction separately, and the commission shall consider each proposal separately.
(E) If, after the commission and a STEM school to which this section applies enter into a written agreement under this section for the construction of a classroom facilities project, the commission approves an increase in the basic project cost above the amount budgeted plus any interest earned and available in the school's project construction fund, the state and the school shall share the increased cost in proportion to their respective contributions to the school's project construction fund.
Last updated February 16, 2023 at 1:16 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 17, 2014 – House Bill 487 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 17, 2014 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 554 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]