Section 3319.223 | Ohio teacher residency program.
(A) Not later than January 1, 2011, the superintendent of public instruction and the chancellor of higher education jointly shall establish the Ohio teacher residency program, which shall be a four-year, entry-level program for classroom teachers. The teacher residency program shall include at least the following components:
(1) Mentoring by teachers for the first two years of the program;
(2) Counseling, as determined necessary by the school district or school, to ensure that program participants receive needed professional development;
(3) Measures of appropriate progression through the program, which shall include the performance-based assessment prescribed by the state board of education for resident educators in the third year of the program.
An individual who is teaching career-technical courses under an alternative resident educator license issued under section 3319.26 of the Revised Code shall not be required to complete the conditions of the Ohio teacher residency program that a participant, as of the effective date of this amendment , would have been required to complete during the participant's first and second year of teaching under an alternative resident educator license. Such an individual shall complete all the conditions that, as of the effective date of this amendment , were necessary for a participant in the third and fourth year of the program prior to applying for a professional educator license under division (A)(2) of section 3319.22 of the Revised Code.
(B) The teacher residency program shall be aligned with the standards for teachers adopted by the state board under section 3319.61 of the Revised Code and best practices identified by the superintendent of public instruction.
(C) Each person who holds a resident educator license issued under section 3319.22 or 3319.227 of the Revised Code or an alternative resident educator license issued under section 3319.26 of the Revised Code shall participate in the teacher residency program. Successful completion of the program shall be required to qualify any such person for a professional educator license issued under section 3319.22 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 29, 2011 – House Bill 21 - 129th General Assembly [ View July 29, 2011 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- March 16, 2017 – Amended by Senate Bill 3 - 131st General Assembly [ View March 16, 2017 Version ]
- June 29, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 98 - 132nd General Assembly [ View June 29, 2018 Version ]
- April 12, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 442 - 133rd General Assembly [ View April 12, 2023 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]