Section 3333.135 | Program contract.
(A) After signing a letter of intent under section 3333.134 of the Revised Code, an individual and the chancellor of higher education may enter into a contract for the individual's participation in the rural practice incentive program. The individual's employer also may be a party to the contract.
(B) The contract shall include all of the following obligations:
(1) The individual agrees to remain employed as a service attorney within the underserved community identified in the letter of intent for the number of hours and duration specified in the contract;
(2) The chancellor agrees, as provided in section 3333.131 of the Revised Code, to repay, so long as the individual satisfies the service obligation agreed to under division (B)(1) of this section, the following amount of the principal and interest of a government or other educational loan taken by the individual for expenses described in section 3333.131 of the Revised Code:
(a) For a three-year service obligation, up to thirty thousand dollars;
(b) For an additional fourth or fifth year of service, up to an additional twenty thousand dollars.
(3) The individual agrees to pay the chancellor an amount established by rules adopted under section 3333.137 of the Revised Code if the individual fails to complete the service obligation agreed to under division (B)(1) of this section.
(C) The contract shall include the following terms as agreed upon by the parties:
(1) The individual's required length of service in the underserved community, which must be at least three years with an optional fourth year and optional fifth year;
(2)(a) In the case of an attorney employed by the state public defender, the prosecuting attorney of a county, a county public defender commission, or a joint county public defender commission, the number of weekly hours the individual will be engaged in practice in the underserved community;
(b) In the case of private counsel appointed by the court or selected by an indigent person pursuant to Chapter 120. of the Revised Code, the number of hours over the service year the individual will be engaged in practice in the underserved community.
(3) The maximum amount that the chancellor will repay on behalf of the individual.
(D) If the amount specified in division (C)(3) of this section includes federal funds, the amount of state funds repaid on the individual's behalf shall be the same as the amount of those federal funds.
Last updated January 31, 2023 at 1:07 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- April 3, 2023 – Enacted by House Bill 150 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 3, 2023 Version ]