Section 3333.394 | Grow your own teacher program - scholarship; termination; repayment.
(A)(1) Each recipient who accepts a scholarship under the grow your own teacher program under section 3333.393 of the Revised Code shall sign a promissory note payable to the state in the event the recipient does not satisfy the service requirement under division (G) of section 3333.393 of the Revised Code or the scholarship is terminated. The amount payable under the note shall be the amount of total scholarships accepted by the recipient under the program.
(2) Each recipient shall be awarded an amount of up to $7,500 at the beginning of each school year in which the recipient begins or maintains qualifying employment as defined in section 3333.393 of the Revised Code. Upon completion of that school year, the amount the recipient received at the beginning of the year shall be forgiven. An individual may receive an award under this division for up to four years.
(3) Failure to complete a full school year of employment converts the award made under division (A)(1) of this section into a loan to be repaid. The loan to be repaid shall be the amount of the award made at the beginning of that school year.
(4) An award made under this division shall not exceed $7,500 in each school year. The total amount awarded to an individual under this section and section 3333.393 of the Revised Code shall not exceed the total cost of a qualifying employee's loans for a teacher training program.
(B)(1) As specified in division (A)(2) of this section, the amount of the annual award made under division (A) of this section shall be forgiven following completion of one year of qualified employment by the recipient in accordance with division (G) of section 3333.393 of the Revised Code.
(2) An award also shall be forgiven in the event that a recipient dies, becomes totally and permanently disabled, or is unable to complete the required qualified service as a result of a reduction in force at the recipient's school of employment before the end of the academic year.
(C) The scholarship shall be deemed terminated upon the recipient's separation from employment at a qualifying school or the recipient's failure to meet the standards of the scholarship as determined by the department and the chancellor and shall be converted to a loan to be repaid under division (A) of this section.
(D) The chancellor and the attorney general shall collect payments on the converted loan in accordance with section 131.02 of the Revised Code, but shall not charge an interest rate on such payments.
Last updated August 31, 2023 at 3:55 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- October 3, 2023 – Enacted by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]