Section 3333.801 | OhioCorps scholarship for at-risk students.
(A) The OhioCorps scholarship is hereby established for at-risk students who meet the requirements of this section. The chancellor of higher education shall award an OhioCorps scholarship to each at-risk student who does all of the following:
(1) Fully participates in the mentorship program administered by an eligible state institution of higher education under section 3333.80 of the Revised Code for as long as such program is in existence or until the student completes high school;
(2) Enrolls in an eligible state institution of higher education;
(3) Meets either of the following conditions:
(a) Demonstrates that the student's expected family contribution would equal zero dollars, as determined by the free application for federal student aid, in grade twelve;
(b) Receives a letter which indicates that the student is in recovery for opioid addiction or impacted by family opioid addiction. The letter shall be written by a teacher, administrator, judge, case worker, police officer, healthcare professional, cleric, employee of a county department of job and family services who is a professional and who works with children and families, or another individual from a public entity approved by the chancellor. The at-risk student shall submit the letter to the student's school district or school. A school district or school in possession of the student's letter shall consider the letter to be subject to section 3319.321 of the Revised Code and shall make the letter available to the chancellor at the request of the chancellor in accordance with that section.
(4) Achieves either of the following:
(a) A score that meets remediation-free standards adopted under division (F) of section 3345.061 of the Revised Code on a nationally standardized assessment that measures college and career readiness and is used for college admission;
(b) A high school cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
(5) Completes a college preparatory curriculum in high school, as determined by the chancellor;
(6) Completes a community service training program offered by a local partner under division (C)(1)(c) of section 3333.80 of the Revised Code, and completes at least forty hours of community service for each school year the student is enrolled in high school;
(7) Participates in the college credit plus program, and under that program completes and receives a passing grade in at least one course each of English language arts and mathematics.
(B) The OhioCorps scholarship shall be a one-time award of one thousand dollars. However, the chancellor may adjust the amount of each scholarship awarded under this section based on availability of funds appropriated by the general assembly and remaining in the OhioCorps fund created in section 3333.802 of the Revised Code.
(C) The scholarship shall be paid to the eligible state institution of higher education in which each recipient enrolls and shall be credited by the institution to the recipient's account.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 10, 2018 – Enacted by Senate Bill 299, 132nd General Assembly [ View October 10, 2018 Version ]