Section 3345.37 | Policies regarding availability of suicide prevention programs.
(A) Not later than one year after the effective date of this section , each state institution of higher education, as defined in section 3345.011 of the Revised Code, shall develop and implement a policy to advise students and staff on suicide prevention programs available on and off campus that includes all of the following:
(1) Crisis intervention access, which shall include information for national, state, and local suicide prevention hotlines;
(2) Mental health program access, which shall provide information on the availability of local mental health clinics, student health services, and counseling services;
(3) Multimedia application access, which shall include crisis hotline contact information, suicide warning signs, resources offered, and free-of-cost applications;
(4) Student communication plans, which shall consist of creating outreach plans regarding educational and outreach activities on suicide prevention;
(5) Postvention plans, which shall consist of creating a strategic plan to communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents after a loss of a person to suicide.
(B) Each state institution of higher education shall provide all incoming students with information about mental health topics, including depression and suicide prevention resources available to students. The information provided to students shall include available mental health services and other support services, including student-run organizations for individuals at risk of or affected by suicide.
(C) The information prescribed by divisions (A)(1), (2), (3), and (4) of this section shall be posted on the web site of each state institution of higher education.
Any applicable free-of-cost prevention materials or programs shall be posted on the web sites of the board of regents and the department of mental health and addiction services. The materials or programs shall be reviewed on an annual basis by the department of mental health and addiction services.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 15, 2015 – House Bill 28, 131st General Assembly [ View October 15, 2015 Version ]