Section 3701.241 | Director to develop and administer AIDS and HIV related programs.
(A) The director of health shall develop and administer the following:
(1) A surveillance system to determine the number of cases of AIDS and the HIV infection rate in various population groups;
(2) Counseling and testing programs for groups determined by the director to be at risk of HIV infection, including procedures for both confidential and anonymous tests, counseling training programs for health care providers, and development of counseling guidelines;
(3) A confidential partner notification system to alert and counsel sexual contacts of individuals with HIV infection;
(4) Risk reduction and education programs for groups determined by the director to be at risk of HIV infection, and, in consultation with a wide range of community leaders, education programs for the public;
(5) Pilot programs for the long-term care of individuals with AIDS or AIDS-related condition, including care in nursing homes and in alternative settings;
(6) Programs to expand regional outpatient treatment of individuals with AIDS or AIDS-related condition;
(7) A program to assist communities, including communities of less than one hundred thousand population, in establishing AIDS task forces and support groups for individuals with AIDS, AIDS-related condition, and HIV infection. The program may include the award of grants if they are matched by local funds.
Information obtained or maintained under the partner notification system is not a public record under section 149.43 of the Revised Code and may be released only in accordance with division (C) of section 3701.243 of the Revised Code.
(B) The director shall:
(1) Approve a test or tests to be used to determine whether an individual has HIV infection, define a confirmed positive test result, and develop guidelines for interpreting test results;
(2) Establish sites for confidential and anonymous HIV tests, and prepare a list of sites where an individual may obtain an anonymous test;
(3) Prepare a list of counseling services;
(4) Make available a copy of the list of anonymous testing sites or a copy of the list of counseling services to anyone who requests it.
(C) The director of health shall require the director or administrator of each site where anonymous or confidential HIV tests are given to submit a report every three months evaluating from an epidemiologic perspective the effectiveness of the HIV testing program at that site. Not later than January 31, 1991, and each year thereafter, the director of health shall make a report evaluating the anonymous and confidential testing programs throughout the state with regard to their effectiveness as epidemiologic programs. The report shall be submitted to the speaker of the house of representatives and the president of the senate and shall be made available to the public.
The director of health shall adopt rules pursuant to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code for the implementation of the requirements of division (B)(1) of this section and division (D) of section 3701.24 of the Revised Code.
(D) The director of health shall administer funds received under Title XXVI of the "Public Health Services Act," 104 Stat. 576 (1990), 42 U.S.C.A. 2601, as amended, for programs to improve the quality and availability of care for individuals with AIDS, AIDS-related condition, and HIV infection. In administering these funds, the director may enter into contracts with any person or entity for the purpose of administering the programs, including contracts with the department of job and family services for establishment of a program of reimbursement of drugs used for treatment and care of such individuals. The director of health may adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and issue orders as necessary for administration of the funds. If the department of job and family services enters into a contract under this division, the director of job and family services may adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code as necessary for carrying out the department's duties under the contract.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 10, 2012 – House Bill 487, 129th General Assembly [ View September 10, 2012 Version ]