Section 3715.503 | Protocols to authorize personally furnishing overdose reversal drugs.
(A) In addition to the actions authorized by section 3715.50 of the Revised Code and subject to division (B) of this section, a physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse may elect to establish a protocol authorizing any individual to personally furnish a supply of an overdose reversal drug to another individual pursuant to the protocol. A person authorized to personally furnish an overdose reversal drug pursuant to the protocol may do so without having examined the individual to whom the drug may be administered.
(B) A protocol established by a physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse for purposes of this section shall include all of the following:
(1) Any limitations to be applied concerning the individuals to whom the overdose reversal drug may be personally furnished;
(2) The overdose reversal drug dosage that may be personally furnished and any variation in the dosage based on circumstances specified in the protocol;
(3) Any labeling, storage, recordkeeping, and administrative requirements;
(4) Training requirements that must be met before a person will be authorized to personally furnish overdose reversal drugs;
(5) Any instructions or training that the authorized person must provide to an individual to whom an overdose reversal drug is personally furnished.
(C) A physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse who in good faith authorizes an individual to personally furnish a supply of an overdose reversal drug in accordance with a protocol established under this section, and an individual who in good faith personally furnishes a supply under that authority, is not liable for or subject to any of the following for any act or omission of the individual to whom the overdose reversal drug is personally furnished: damages in any civil action, prosecution in any criminal proceeding, or professional disciplinary action.
Last updated February 6, 2023 at 5:32 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- April 6, 2023 – Enacted by House Bill 558 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]