Section 3715.60 | Misbranded food.
(A) Its labeling is false or misleading in any particular.
(B) It is offered for sale under the name of another food.
(C) Its container is so made, formed, or filled as to be misleading.
(D) It is an imitation of another food, unless its label bears in type of uniform size and prominence, the word "imitation," and immediately thereafter the name of the food imitated.
(E) When it is in package form, it does not bear a label containing:
(1) The name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;
(2) An accurate statement of the quantity of the contents in terms of weight, measure, or numerical count; provided, that reasonable variations shall be permitted, and exemptions as to small packages shall be established by rules adopted by the director of agriculture;
(3) In the case of food subject to section 3715.023 of the Revised Code, the information specified in that section.
(F) Any word, statement, or other information required by or under authority of sections 3715.01, 3715.02, and 3715.52 to 3715.72 of the Revised Code, to appear on the label or labeling is not prominently placed thereon with such conspicuousness as compared with other words, statements, designs, or devices, in the labeling, and in such terms as to render it likely to be read and understood by the ordinary individual under customary conditions of purchase and use.
(G) It purports to be, or is represented as, a food for which a definition and standard of identity have been prescribed by statute, or by any rule adopted under an existing statute, or by rule as provided by section 3715.02 of the Revised Code, unless:
(1) It conforms to such definition and standard.
(2) Its label bears the name of the food specified in the definition and standard, and, insofar as may be required by such statute or rules, the common names of optional ingredients, other than spices, flavoring, and coloring, present in such food.
(H) It purports to be or is represented as:
(1) A food for which a standard of quality has been prescribed by rule as provided by section 3715.02 of the Revised Code and its quality falls below the standard unless its label bears, in the manner and form that the rules specify, a statement that it falls below the standard;
(2) A food for which a standard or standards of fill of container have been prescribed by rule as provided by section 3715.02 of the Revised Code, and it falls below the standard of fill of container applicable thereto, unless its label bears, in the manner and form that the rules specify, a statement that it falls below the standard.
(I) It is not subject to the provisions of division (G) of this section, unless it bears labeling clearly giving:
(1) The common or usual name of the food, if any;
(2) In case it is fabricated from two or more ingredients, the common or usual name of each ingredient; except that spices, flavorings, and colorings, other than those sold as such, may be designated as spices, flavorings, and colorings, without naming each; provided, that, to the extent that compliance with the requirements of division (I)(2) of this section is impractical or results in deception or unfair competition, exemptions shall be established by rules adopted by the director; and provided that these requirements shall not apply to any carbonated beverage of which a full and correct statement of the ingredients, to the extent prescribed by division (I)(2) of this section, has been filed under oath with the director.
(J) It purports to be or is represented to be for special dietary uses, unless its label bears such information concerning its vitamin, mineral, and other dietary properties as is provided by rules adopted by the director, as necessary, in order to fully inform purchasers as to its value for such uses.
(K) It bears or contains any artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, or chemical preservative, unless it bears labeling stating that fact; provided, that to the extent that compliance with the requirements of this division is impracticable, exemptions shall be established by rules adopted by the director.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 10, 2012 – House Bill 487, 129th General Assembly [ View September 10, 2012 Version ]