Section 3722.03 | Applications for licensure.
(A) Subject to division (D) of this section, each person or political subdivision, agency, or instrumentality of this state, including a state university, seeking to operate a hospital shall apply to the director of health for a license to operate a hospital.
The director of health shall not consider any application for licensure until the date that is one year after the effective date of this section . An application shall be submitted in the form and manner prescribed by the director in rules adopted under section 3722.06 of the Revised Code.
(B) To be eligible for a license, an applicant must satisfy all of the following:
(1) Have submitted a complete application, which includes identifying the main hospital location and any location operated by the hospital pursuant to 42 C.F.R. 413.65 and paying the fee specified in rules adopted under section 3722.06 of the Revised Code;
(2) Be certified under Title XVIII of the "Social Security Act," 42 U.S.C. 1395aa, or accredited by a national accrediting organization approved by the federal centers for medicare and medicaid services in accordance with 42 U.S.C. 1395bb(a), or, in the case of a new hospital, eligible under rules adopted under section 3722.06 of the Revised Code;
(3) Demonstrate the ability to comply with standards established in rules adopted under section 3722.06 of the Revised Code;
(4) Specify the number of beds for the hospital, including skilled nursing beds, long-term care beds, and special skilled nursing beds.
(C)(1) If the applicant satisfies the requirements described in division (B) of this section, the director shall issue to the applicant a license to operate a hospital.
(2) A license issued under this section is valid for a three-year period unless revoked or suspended. A license expires on the date that is three years from the date of issuance and may be renewed for additional three-year periods. Applications for renewal shall be submitted to the director in a manner prescribed in rules adopted under section 3722.06 of the Revised Code.
(3) Both of the following apply to a license issued under this section:
(a) The license is valid only for the hospital identified in the application.
(b) The license holder shall post a copy of the license in a conspicuous place in the hospital.
(D) This section does not prohibit the director of health from issuing a license to a hospital that does either or both of the following:
(1) Occupies space in a building that is also used by another hospital or hospitals;
(2) Occupies one or more buildings located on the same campus as buildings used by another hospital or hospitals.
Last updated October 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 30, 2021 – Enacted by House Bill 110 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]