Section 3737.17 | Small government fire department services revolving loan program.
(A) As used in this section, a "qualifying small government" means any of the following:
(1) A township that has a population of not more than five thousand or, regardless of its population, is located in a county that has a population of less than one hundred thousand;
(2) A municipal corporation that has a population of not more than seven thousand five hundred;
(3) A fire district, joint fire district, or fire and ambulance district that shares territory exclusively with townships or municipal corporations that meet the conditions of division (A)(1) or (2) of this section.
(B) The state fire marshal shall administer a small government fire department services revolving loan program under which the state fire marshal makes loans to qualifying small governments for the following purposes:
(1) To expedite purchases of major equipment for fire fighting, ambulance, emergency medical, or rescue services;
(2) To expedite projects for the construction or renovation of fire department buildings.
A loan for either purpose under the small government fire department services revolving loan program is not to carry interest, and is to be repaid within a term of not longer than twenty years. A qualifying small government is not eligible to receive a loan for a project or purchase under the program unless the qualifying small government contributes to the project or purchase an amount equal to at least five per cent of the loan amount.
(C) A qualifying small government may apply to the state fire marshal for a loan under the small government fire department services revolving loan program. In its application, the qualifying small government shall explain how it qualifies for the loan, describe the project or purchase for which it is requesting a loan, state the amount of the loan it requests, and state the amount it is prepared to contribute to the project or purchase. The qualifying small government shall provide additional information to support its application for a loan under the program as requested by the state fire marshal.
(D) The state fire marshal, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules for the administration of the small government fire department services revolving loan program.
(E) There is hereby created in the state treasury the small government fire department services revolving loan fund, into which shall be deposited repayments by qualifying small governments of loans authorized under this section. The fund also shall consist of appropriated money. Investment earnings on money in the fund shall be credited to the fund. The state fire marshal shall use the money credited to the fund to make loans to qualifying small governments as described in this section. The state fire marshal may loan money from repaid loans credited to the fund at any time to qualifying small governments in accordance with this section.