Section 3743.21 | Inspections.
(A) The fire marshal may inspect the premises, and the inventory, wholesale sale, and retail sale records, of a licensed wholesaler of fireworks during the wholesaler's period of licensure to determine whether the wholesaler is in compliance with Chapter 3743. of the Revised Code and the rules adopted by the fire marshal pursuant to section 3743.18 of the Revised Code.
(B) If the fire marshal determines during an inspection conducted pursuant to division (A) of this section that a wholesaler is not in compliance with Chapter 3743. of the Revised Code or the rules adopted by the fire marshal pursuant to section 3743.18 of the Revised Code, the fire marshal may take one or more of the following actions, whichever the fire marshal considers appropriate under the circumstances:
(1) Order, in writing, the wholesaler to eliminate, correct, or otherwise remedy the nonconformities within a specified period of time;
(2) Order, in writing, the wholesaler to immediately cease its operations, if a fire or explosion hazard exists that reasonably can be regarded as posing an imminent danger of death or serious physical harm to persons. The order shall be effective until the nonconformities are eliminated, corrected, or otherwise remedied or for a period of seventy-two hours from the time of issuance, whichever first occurs. During the seventy-two hour period, the fire marshal may obtain from the court of common pleas of Franklin county or of the county in which the premises of the wholesaler are located an injunction restraining the wholesaler from continuing its operations after the seventy-two hour period expires until the nonconformities are eliminated, corrected, or otherwise remedied.
(3) Revoke, or deny renewal of, the license of the wholesaler in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code;
(4) Take action as authorized by section 3743.68 of the Revised Code.
(C) This section does not affect the authority conferred by Chapters 3781. and 3791. of the Revised Code to conduct inspections to determine conformity with those chapters or the rules adopted pursuant to them.
(D) If the license of a wholesaler of fireworks is revoked or renewal is denied pursuant to division (B)(3) of this section or section 3743.70 of the Revised Code, the wholesaler shall cease its operations immediately. The wholesaler may not reapply for licensure as a wholesaler of fireworks until two years expire from the date of revocation.
The fire marshal shall remove from the list of licensed wholesalers the name of a wholesaler whose license has been revoked, and shall notify the law enforcement authorities for the political subdivision in which the wholesaler's premises are located, of the revocation or denial of renewal.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 29, 2001 – House Bill 161, 124th General Assembly [ View June 29, 2001 Version ]