Section 3774.01 | Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(A) "Commission" means the Ohio casino control commission.
(B) "Entry fee" means cash or cash equivalent that a fantasy contest operator requires to be paid by a fantasy contest player to participate in a fantasy contest.
(C) "Fantasy contest" means a simulated game or contest with an entry fee that satisfies all of the following conditions:
(1) The value of all prizes and awards offered to winning fantasy contest players is established and made known to the players in advance of the contest.
(2) All winning outcomes reflect the relative knowledge and skill of the fantasy contest players and are determined predominantly by accumulated statistical results of the performance of managing rosters of athletes whose performance directly corresponds with the actual performance of athletes in professional sports competitions.
(3) Winning outcomes are not based on randomized or historical events, or on the score, point spread, or any performance of any single actual team or combination of teams or solely on any single performance of an individual athlete or player in any single actual event.
(4) The game or contest does not involve horses or horse racing.
(D) "Fantasy contest operator" means a person that offers fantasy contests with an entry fee for a prize or award to the general public. Fantasy contest operator does not include a person that offers a pool not conducted for profit as defined under division (XX) of section 2915.01 of the Revised Code.
(E) "Fantasy contest platform" means any digital or online method through which a fantasy contest operator provides access to a fantasy contest.
(F) "Fantasy contest player" means a person who participates in a fantasy contest offered by a fantasy contest operator.
(G) "Holding company" means any corporation, firm, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, trust, or other form of business organization not a natural person that directly or indirectly does any of the following:
(1) Has the power or right to control a fantasy contest operator;
(2) Holds an ownership interest of ten per cent or more, as determined by the commission, in a fantasy contest operator;
(3) Holds voting rights with the power to vote ten per cent or more of the outstanding voting rights of a fantasy contest operator.
(H) "Key employee" means a person, employed by a fantasy contest operator, who is responsible for ensuring, and has the authority necessary to ensure, that all requirements under this chapter and the rules adopted under this chapter and division (L) of section 3772.03 of the Revised Code are met.
(I) "Management company" means an organization retained by a fantasy contest operator to manage a fantasy contest platform and provide services such as accounting, general administration, maintenance, recruitment, and other operational services.
(J) "Material nonpublic information" means information related to the play of a fantasy contest by a fantasy contest player that is not readily available to the general public and is obtained as a result of a person's employment.
(K) "Script" means a list of commands that a fantasy-contest-related computer program can execute and that is created by a fantasy contest player, or by a third party for a fantasy contest player, to automate processes on a fantasy contest platform.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 23, 2018 – Enacted by House Bill 132, 132nd General Assembly [ View March 23, 2018 Version ]