Section 3781.30 | Duties of excavator.
(A) When making excavations using traditional or trenchless technologies, the excavator shall do all of the following:
(1) Maintain reasonable clearance between any underground facility and the cutting edge or point of powered equipment;
(2) Protect and preserve the markings of tolerance zones of underground utility facilities until those markings are no longer required for proper and safe excavations;
(3) When approaching and excavating within the tolerance zone of underground utility facilities with powered equipment, require an individual other than the equipment operator, to visually monitor the excavation activity for any indication of the underground utility facility;
(4) Conduct the excavation within the tolerance zone of underground utility facilities in a careful, prudent, and nondestructive manner, when necessary, in order to prevent damage;
(5) Excavate up to the total depth of the excavation to either determine the precise location of underground utility facilities or verify that the total depth of excavation is free of such facilities;
(6) As soon as any damage is discovered, including gouges, dents, or breaks to coatings, cable sheathes, and cathodic protection anodes or wiring, report the type and location of the damage to the utility and permit the utility a reasonable amount of time to make necessary repairs;
(7) Immediately report to the utility, the protection service, and, if necessary, to the appropriate law enforcement agencies and fire departments by calling 9-1-1, any damage to an underground utility facility that results in escaping flammable, corrosive, explosive, or toxic liquids or gas, and take reasonable appropriate actions needed to protect persons and property and to minimize safety hazards until those agencies and departments and the utility arrive at the scene.
(B) When utilizing trenchless excavation methods, the excavator must comply with the following requirements, in a manner consistent with division (A) of this section:
(1) Expose and confirm all underground utility facilities at each crossing point by the proposed excavation in a nondestructive manner to the installation depth of the new facility;
(2) Expose all parallel underground utility facilities in a nondestructive manner at the beginning and end of each trenchless excavation to the installation depth of the new facility. If the proposed alignment is within the tolerance zone of any parallel underground utility facility, the underground utility facility shall be exposed every one hundred feet.
(3) Ensure that the final product installation maintains the proper clearances of existing underground utility facilities as determined pursuant to division (E)(4) of section 3781.27 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 27, 2013 – House Bill 458 - 129th General Assembly [ View March 27, 2013 Version ]