Section 4141.31 | Benefits reduced by remuneration.
(A) Benefits otherwise payable for any week shall be reduced by the amount of remuneration or other payments a claimant receives with respect to such week as follows:
(1) Remuneration in lieu of notice;
(2) Compensation for wage loss under division (B) of section 4123.56 of the Revised Code or a similar provision under the workers' compensation law of any state or the United States;
(3) Payments in the form of retirement, or pension allowances as provided under section 4141.312 of the Revised Code;
(4) Except as otherwise provided in division (D) of this section, remuneration in the form of separation or termination pay paid to an employee at the time of the employee's separation from employment;
(5) Vacation pay or allowance payable under the law, terms of a labor-management contract or agreement, or other contract of hire, which payments are allocated to designated weeks;
(6) The determinable value of cost savings days.
If payments under this division are paid with respect to a month then the amount of remuneration deemed to be received with respect to any week during such month shall be computed by multiplying such monthly amount by twelve and dividing the product by fifty-two. If there is no designation of the period with respect to which payments to an individual are made under this section then an amount equal to such individual's normal weekly wage shall be attributed to and deemed paid with respect to the first and each succeeding week following the individual's separation or termination from the employment of the employer making the payment until such amount so paid is exhausted.
If benefits for any week, when reduced as provided in this division, result in an amount not a multiple of one dollar, such benefits shall be rounded to the next lower multiple of one dollar.
Any payment allocated by the employer or the director of job and family services to weeks under division (A)(1), (4), or (5) of this section shall be deemed to be remuneration for the purposes of establishing a qualifying week and a benefit year under divisions (O)(1) and (R) of section 4141.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Benefits payable for any week shall not be reduced by the amount of remuneration a claimant receives with respect to such week in the form of drill or reserve pay received by a member of the Ohio national guard or the armed forces reserve for attendance at a regularly scheduled drill or meeting.
(C) No benefits shall be paid for any week with respect to which or a part of which an individual has received or is seeking unemployment benefits under an unemployment compensation law of any other state or of the United States, provided the disqualifications shall not apply if the appropriate agency of such other state or of the United States finally determines that an individual is not entitled to such unemployment benefits. A law of the United States providing any payment of any type and in any amounts for periods of unemployment due to lack of work shall be considered an unemployment compensation law of the United States.
(D) Benefits payable for any week shall not be reduced by the amount of military severance, disability, or separation pay paid to an individual who is a former member of the armed forces of the United States.
(E) Remuneration for personal services includes cost savings days, as defined in division (DD) of section 4141.01 of the Revised Code, for which employees continue to accrue employee benefits that have a determinable value. Any unemployment compensation benefits that may be payable as a result of cost savings days shall be reduced as provided in division (A)(6) of this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 17, 2009 – House Bill 1, 128th General Assembly [ View July 17, 2009 Version ]