Section 4503.581 | Ohio sons of the American legion license plates.
(A) The owner or lessee of any passenger car, noncommercial motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, or other vehicle of a class approved by the registrar of motor vehicles may apply to the registrar for the registration of the vehicle and issuance of "Ohio Sons of the American Legion" license plates. The application may be combined with a request for a special reserved license plate under section 4503.40 or 4503.42 of the Revised Code. Upon receipt of the completed application and compliance by the applicant with divisions (B) and (C) of this section, the registrar shall issue to the applicant the appropriate vehicle registration and a set of "Ohio Sons of the American Legion" license plates and a validation sticker, or a validation sticker alone when required by section 4503.191 of the Revised Code.
In addition to the letters and numbers ordinarily inscribed on the license plates, "Ohio Sons of the American Legion" license plates shall display an appropriate logo and words that are selected by representatives of the Ohio sons of the American legion and approved by the registrar. "Ohio Sons of the American Legion" license plates shall display county identification stickers that identify the county of registration as required under section 4503.19 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Ohio Sons of the American Legion" license plates and a validation sticker, or validation sticker alone, shall be issued upon receipt of an application for registration of a motor vehicle under this section; payment of the regular license tax as prescribed under section 4503.04 of the Revised Code, any applicable motor vehicle license tax levied under Chapter 4504. of the Revised Code, any applicable additional fee prescribed by section 4503.40 or 4503.42 of the Revised Code, an additional administrative fee of ten dollars, and a contribution as provided in division (C)(1) of this section; and compliance with all other applicable laws relating to the registration of motor vehicles.
(C)(1) For each application for registration and registration renewal notice the registrar receives under this section, the registrar shall collect a contribution of ten dollars. The registrar shall deposit this contribution into the state treasury to the credit of the license plate contribution fund created in section 4501.21 of the Revised Code.
(2) The registrar shall deposit the administrative fee of ten dollars, the purpose of which is to compensate the bureau of motor vehicles for additional services required in the issuing of "Ohio Sons of the American Legion" license plates, into the state treasury to the credit of the public safety - highway purposes fund created in section 4501.06 of the Revised Code.
Last updated April 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- September 14, 2016 – Amended by Senate Bill 159 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 14, 2016 Version ]
- October 22, 2020 – Enacted by Senate Bill 163 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 22, 2020 Version ]
- June 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 74 - 134th General Assembly [ View June 30, 2021 Version ]