Section 4503.70 | Freemason license plates.
(A) The owner or lessee of any passenger car, noncommercial motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, or other vehicle of a class approved by the registrar of motor vehicles may apply to the registrar for the registration of the vehicle and issuance of freemason license plates. The application for freemason license plates may be combined with a request for a special reserved license plate under section 4503.40 or 4503.42 of the Revised Code. Upon receipt of the completed application, and compliance by the applicant with divisions (B) and (C) of this section, the registrar shall issue to the applicant the appropriate vehicle registration and a set of freemason license plates with a validation sticker or a validation sticker alone when required by section 4503.191 of the Revised Code.
In addition to the letters and numbers ordinarily inscribed on the license plates, freemason license plates shall display an appropriate logo and words selected by representatives of the grand lodge of free and accepted masons of Ohio and that are approved by the registrar. Freemason license plates shall display county identification stickers that identify the county of registration as required under section 4503.19 of the Revised Code.
(B) Freemason license plates and a validation sticker, or a validation sticker alone, shall be issued upon receipt of an application for registration of a motor vehicle under this section; payment of the regular license tax as required by section 4503.04 of the Revised Code; payment of any local motor vehicle license tax levied under Chapter 4504. of the Revised Code; payment of any applicable additional fee as prescribed by section 4503.40 or 4503.42 of the Revised Code; payment of an additional fee of ten dollars; payment of contributions as provided in division (C)(1) of this section; and compliance with all other applicable laws relating to the registration of motor vehicles.
(C)(1) For each application for registration and registration renewal notice the registrar receives under this section, the registrar shall collect a contribution of fifteen dollars. The registrar shall deposit this contribution into the state treasury to the credit of the license plate contribution fund created in section 4501.21 of the Revised Code.
(2) The additional ten dollar fee, which is for the purpose of compensating the bureau of motor vehicles for additional services required in the issuing of freemason license plates, shall be transmitted by the registrar to the treasurer of state for deposit into the state treasury to the credit of the public safety - highway purposes fund created by section 4501.06 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2011 – House Bill 153 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2011 Version ]
- September 14, 2016 – Amended by Senate Bill 159 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 14, 2016 Version ]
- July 1, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 26 - 132nd General Assembly [ View July 1, 2017 Version ]
- October 22, 2020 – Amended by Senate Bill 163 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 22, 2020 Version ]