Section 4508.01 | Driver training school definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(A) "Beginning driver" means any person being trained to drive a particular motor vehicle who has not been previously licensed to drive that motor vehicle by any state or country.
(B) "Person with a disability" means a person who, in the opinion of the registrar of motor vehicles, has a physical or mental disability or disease that prevents the person, in the absence of special training or equipment, from exercising reasonable and ordinary control over a motor vehicle while operating the vehicle upon the highways. "Person with a disability" does not mean any person who is or has been subject to any condition resulting in episodic impairment of consciousness or loss of muscular control and whose condition, in the opinion of the registrar, is dormant or is sufficiently under medical control that the person is capable of exercising reasonable and ordinary control over a motor vehicle.
(C) "Driver training school" or "school" means any of the following:
(1) A private business enterprise conducted by an individual, association, partnership, or corporation for the education and training of persons to operate or drive motor vehicles, that does any of the following:
(a) Uses public streets or highways to provide training and charges a consideration or tuition for such services;
(b) Provides an online driver education course approved by the director of public safety pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 4508.02 of the Revised Code and charges a consideration or tuition for the course;
(c) Provides an abbreviated driver training course for adults that is approved by the director pursuant to division (F) of section 4508.02 of the Revised Code and charges a consideration or tuition for the course.
(2) A lead school district as provided in section 4508.09 of the Revised Code;
(3) A board of education of a city, exempted village, local, or joint vocational school district or the governing board of an educational service center that offers a driver education course for high school students enrolled in the district or in a district served by the educational service center.
(D) "Instructor" means any person, whether acting for self as operator of a driver training school or for such a school for compensation, who teaches, conducts classes of, gives demonstrations to, or supervises practice of, persons learning to operate or drive motor vehicles.
(E) "Lead school district" means a school district, including a joint vocational school district, designated by the department of education and workforce as either a vocational education planning district itself or as responsible for providing primary vocational education leadership within a vocational education planning district that is composed of a group of districts. A "vocational education planning district" is a school district or group of school districts designated by the department as responsible for planning and providing vocational education services to students within the district or group of districts.
Last updated September 12, 2023 at 12:02 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- October 11, 2002 – House Bill 407 - 124th General Assembly [ View October 11, 2002 Version ]
- July 1, 2015 – House Bill 53 - 131st General Assembly [ View July 1, 2015 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 281 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]