Section 4508.04 | Driver training instructor license.
(A) No person shall act as a driver training instructor, and no person shall act as a driver training instructor for disabled persons, unless such person applies for and obtains from the director of public safety a license in the manner and form prescribed by the director. The director shall provide by rule for instructors' license requirements including physical condition, knowledge of the courses of instruction, motor vehicle laws and safety principles, previous personal and employment records, and such other matters as the director may prescribe for the protection of the public. Driver training instructors for disabled persons shall meet such additional requirements and receive such additional classroom and practical instruction as the director shall prescribe by rule.
(B) The director may issue a license under this section to a person convicted of a disqualifying offense as determined in accordance with section 9.79 of the Revised Code.
(C) No person shall knowingly make a false statement on a license application submitted under this section.
(D) Upon successful completion of all requirements for an initial instructor license, the director shall issue an applicant a probationary license, which expires one hundred eighty days from the date of issuance. In order to receive a driver training instructor license, a person issued a probationary license shall pass an assessment prescribed in rules adopted by the director pursuant to section 4508.02 of the Revised Code. The person shall pass the assessment prior to expiration of the probationary license. If the person fails to pass the assessment, or fails to meet any standards required for a driver training instructor license, the director may extend the expiration date of the person's probationary license. Upon successful completion of the assessment and approval of the director, the director shall issue to the person a driver training instructor license.
(E)(1) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of acting as a driver training instructor without a valid license, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(2) Whoever violates division (C) of this section may be charged with falsification under section 2921.13 of the Revised Code.
Last updated October 9, 2021 at 5:24 AM
Available Versions of this Section
- January 1, 2004 – Senate Bill 123 - 124th General Assembly [ View January 1, 2004 Version ]
- July 1, 2015 – Amended by House Bill 53 - 131st General Assembly [ View July 1, 2015 Version ]
- October 9, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 263 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 9, 2021 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 281 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]
- December 29, 2023 – Amended by Senate Bill 131 (GA 134), House Bill 281 (GA 134) [ View December 29, 2023 Version ]