Section 4703.30 | Landscape architect definitions.
(A) "Landscape architect," "professional landscape architect," or "registered landscape architect" means a person who has been registered as provided in sections 4703.30 to 4703.49 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Landscape architecture" or "the practice of landscape architecture" includes:
(1) The preparation of master, site, and comprehensive development plans, the preparation of feasibility and site selection studies, and the supervision of the execution of projects thereon, in accordance with the accepted professional standards of public health, welfare, and safety, where the dominant purpose of such service involves:
(a) The preservation, conservation, enhancement, or determination of proper land and water uses, natural land features, ground cover and plantings, naturalistic and aesthetic values, natural systems, reforestation, restoration, and reclamation;
(b) The determination of settings, grounds, and approaches for buildings and structures or other improvements; the determination of environmental problems of land relating to erosion and sediment control, flooding, blight and other hazards; the shaping and contouring of land and water forms; the determination of grades; and the determination of surface and ground water drainage and providing for drainage systems where such systems do not require structural design of system components or a hydraulic analysis of the receiving storm water conveyance system;
(c) The development of roadways and parkways, equestrian, bicycle, and pedestrian circulation systems, sidewalks, parking, planting, pools, irrigation systems, and other ancillary elements, for public and private use and enjoyment.
(2) The preparation of construction documents, provided that these are limited to and are necessary for projects within the scope of the practice of landscape architecture as defined in divisions (B)(1)(a), (b), and (c) of this section;
(3) The following services as they relate to the practice of landscape architecture:
(a) Construction observation;
(b) Project coordination and review of technical submissions, plans, and construction documents;
(c) Collaboration with architects and professional engineers in the design of streets, highways, bridges, buildings, and structures with respect to the functional and aesthetic requirements of the area in which such facilities are to be placed.
(4) This practice shall include the location and arrangement of such tangible objects and features as are incidental and necessary to the purposes outlined in this section, but shall not include the design of structures or facilities with separate and self-contained purposes for habitation or industry, or the design of streets and highways, utilities, storm and sanitary sewers, and water and sewage treatment facilities, such as are exclusive to the practice of engineering or architecture. A landscape architect shall undertake to perform professional services only when the landscape architect is qualified by education, training, and experience in the specific technical areas involved. This division shall not be construed to prohibit a landscape architect from engaging individuals performing services outside the scope of the landscape architect's qualifications as consultants.
(5) The practice of landscape architecture does not include the practice of surveying as defined in section 4733.01 of the Revised Code.
(C) "Board" means the Ohio landscape architects board.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 3, 2014 – House Bill 202, 130th General Assembly [ View June 3, 2014 Version ]