Section 4709.10 | Barber schools.
(A) Each person who desires to obtain a license to operate a barber school shall apply to the state cosmetology and barber board, on forms provided by the board. The board shall issue a barber school license to a person if the board determines that the person meets and will comply with all of the requirements of division (B) of this section and pays the required licensure and inspection fees.
(B) In order for a person to qualify for a license to operate a barber school, the barber school to be operated by the person must meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Have a training facility sufficient to meet the required educational curriculum established by the board, including enough space to accommodate all the facilities and equipment required by rule by the board;
(2) Provide sufficient licensed teaching personnel to meet the minimum pupil-teacher ratio established by rule of the board;
(3) Have established and provide to the board proof that it has met all of the board requirements to operate a barber school, as adopted by rule of the board;
(4) File with the board a program of its curriculum, accounting for not less than one thousand eight hundred hours of instruction in the courses of theory and practical demonstration required by rule of the board;
(5) File with the board a surety bond in the amount of ten thousand dollars issued by a bonding company licensed to do business in this state. The bond shall be in the form prescribed by the board and conditioned upon the barber school's continued instruction in the theory and practice of barbering. The bond shall continue in effect until notice of its termination is provided to the board. In no event, however, shall the bond be terminated while the barber school is in operation. Any student who is injured or damaged by reason of a barber school's failure to continue instruction in the theory and practice of barbering may maintain an action on the bond against the barber school or the surety, or both, for the recovery of any money or tuition paid in advance for instruction in the theory and practice of barbering which was not received. The aggregate liability of the surety to all students shall not exceed the sum of the bond.
(6) Maintain adequate record keeping to ensure that it has met the requirements for records of student progress as required by board rule;
(7) Establish minimum standards for acceptance of student applicants for admission to the barber school. The barber school may establish entrance requirements which are more stringent than those prescribed by the board, but the requirements must at a minimum require the applicant to meet all of the following:
(a) Be at least seventeen years of age;
(b) Have an eighth grade education, or an equivalent education as determined by the state board of education;
(c) Submit two signed current photographs of the applicant, in the size determined by the board.
(8) Have a procedure to submit every student applicant's admission application to the board for the board's review and approval prior to the applicant's admission to the barber school;
(9) Operate in a manner which reflects credit upon the barbering profession;
(10) Offer a curriculum of study which covers all aspects of the scientific fundamentals of barbering as specified by rule of the board;
(11) Employ no more than two licensed assistant barber teachers for each licensed barber teacher employed or fewer than two licensed teachers or one licensed teacher and one licensed assistant teacher at each facility.
(C) Each person who desires to obtain a barber teacher or assistant barber teacher license shall apply to the board, on forms provided by the board. The board shall only issue a barber teacher license to a person who meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Holds a current barber license issued pursuant to this chapter and has at least eighteen months of work experience in a licensed barber shop or has been employed as an assistant barber teacher under the supervision of a licensed barber teacher for at least one year, unless, for good cause, the board waives this requirement;
(2) Meets such other requirements as adopted by rule by the board;
(3) Passes the required examination; and
(4) Pays the required fees.
The board shall only issue an assistant barber teacher license to a person who holds a current barber license issued pursuant to this chapter and pays the required fees.
(D) Any person who meets the qualifications of an assistant teacher pursuant to division (C) of this section, may be employed as an assistant teacher, provided that within five days after the commencement of the employment the barber school submits to the board, on forms provided by the board, the applicant's qualifications.
Last updated October 5, 2021 at 2:02 PM