Section 4715.43 | Teledentistry; definitions; permit.
(1) "Authorizing dentist" means the holder of a current, valid teledentistry permit issued under this section who authorizes a dental hygienist or expanded function dental auxiliary to perform services under section 4715.431 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Dental hygiene services" means the prophylactic, preventive, and other procedures that dentists are authorized by this chapter and rules of the state dental board to assign to dental hygienists, except for procedures while a patient is anesthetized, definitive root planing, definitive subgingival curettage, the administration of local anesthesia, and the procedures specified in rules adopted by the board as described in division (C)(3) of section 4715.22 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Interim therapeutic restoration" means a direct provisional restoration placed to stabilize a tooth until a licensed dentist can assess the need for further treatment. "Interim therapeutic restoration" includes the removal of debris, other than carious or noncarious tooth structure, from the carious lesion using air or water irrigation.
(4) "Synchronous, real-time communication" means a live, two-way interaction between a patient and a dentist conducted through audiovisual technology.
(5) "Teledentistry" means the delivery of dental services through the use of synchronous, real-time communication and the delivery of services of a dental hygienist or expanded function dental auxiliary pursuant to a dentist's authorization.
(B) A dentist who desires to provide dental services through teledentistry shall apply to the state dental board for a teledentistry permit. The application must be made under oath on a form prescribed by the board and be accompanied by a twenty-dollar application fee. To be eligible for the permit, the dentist must meet the requirements established by the board in rules adopted under section 4715.436 of the Revised Code.
The state dental board shall issue a teledentistry permit to a dentist who is in good standing with the board and satisfies all of the requirements of this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 20, 2019 – Enacted by Senate Bill 259, 132nd General Assembly [ View March 20, 2019 Version ]