Section 4717.12 | Exemptions.
(A) The following persons are exempt from the provisions of this chapter:
(1) An officer or employee of the department of health or any board of health, who, in compliance with rules or orders of the department of health or board of health, is preparing the body of a person whose death was caused by a virulent communicable disease;
(2) An officer, employee, or licensed physician of a medical college, when any of these are acting on behalf of a medical college;
(4) Any person licensed in another state as a funeral director or embalmer who is assisting a funeral director or embalmer licensed under this chapter during a disaster or an emergency in the state that has been declared by this state or a political subdivision.
(B) This chapter does not prevent or interfere with any of the following:
(1) The ceremonies, customs, religious rights, or religion of any people, denomination, or sect;
(2) Any religious denomination or sect, or any body composed of members of a denomination;
(3) Any church or synagogue committee in preparing dead human bodies for burial;
(4) The conducting of funerals and the burial of dead human bodies in accordance with the ceremonies or rights described in division (B) of this section without the use, employment, or supervision of a licensed embalmer or funeral director, except when the body is that of a person whose death was caused by a virulent communicable disease, in which case the rules of the department of health or board of health having territorial jurisdiction shall apply.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 22, 2013 – House Bill 481 - 129th General Assembly [ View March 22, 2013 Version ]