Section 4717.271 | Crematory operator requirements for fetal remains.
The following applies to a crematory operator that cremates fetal remains for an abortion facility under Chapter 3726. of the Revised Code.
(A) A crematory operator shall not do any of the following:
(1) Cremate fetal remains without receiving a copy of a properly executed detachable supplemental form described in division (C)(1) of section 3726.14 of the Revised Code;
(2) Dispose of the cremated fetal remains by a means other than one of the following:
(a) Placing them in a grave, crypt, or niche;
(b) Scattering them in any dignified manner, including in a memorial garden, at sea, by air, or at a scattering ground described in section 1721.21 of the Revised Code;
(c) Any other lawful manner.
(3) Arrange for the disposal of the cremated fetal remains by a means other than one described in division (A)(2) of this section;
(4) Arrange for the transfer of the cremated fetal remains for disposal by a means other than one described in division (A)(2) of this section.
(B) A crematory operator is not required to secure a death certificate, a burial or burial-transit permit, or a cremation authorization form to cremate fetal remains.
Available Versions of this Section
- April 6, 2021 – Enacted by Senate Bill 27, 133rd General Assembly [ View April 6, 2021 Version ]