Section 4735.28 | Foreign real estate salesperson's license.
(A) An application to act as a foreign real estate salesperson shall be in writing and filed with the superintendent of real estate. It shall be in the form the superintendent prescribes and shall contain the following information:
(1) The name and complete residence and business addresses of the applicant;
(2) The name of the foreign real estate dealer who is employing the applicant or who intends to employ the applicant;
(3) The age and education of the applicant, and the applicant's experience in the sale of foreign real estate; whether the applicant has ever been licensed by the superintendent, and if so, when; whether the applicant has ever been refused a license by the superintendent; and whether the applicant has ever been licensed or refused a license or any similar permit by any division or superintendent of real estate, by whatsoever name known or designated, anywhere;
(4) The nature of the employment, and the names and addresses of the employers, of the applicant for the period of ten years immediately preceding the date of the application.
(B) Every applicant shall take a written examination, prescribed and conducted by the superintendent, which covers the applicant's knowledge of the principles of real estate practice, real estate law, financing and appraisal, real estate transactions and instruments relating to them, canons of business ethics relating to real estate transactions, and the duties of foreign real estate salespersons. The fee for the examination, when administered by the superintendent, is sixty-eight dollars. If the applicant does not appear for the examination, the fee shall be forfeited and a new application and fee shall be filed, unless good cause for the failure to appear is shown to the superintendent. The requirement of an examination may be waived in whole or in part by the superintendent if an applicant is licensed as a real estate broker or salesperson by any state.
Any applicant who fails the examination twice shall wait six months before applying to retake the examination.
(C) No person shall take the foreign real estate salesperson's examination who has not established to the satisfaction of the superintendent that the person:
(1) Has not been convicted of a disqualifying offense as determined in accordance with section 9.79 of the Revised Code;
(2) Has not been finally adjudged by a court to have violated any municipal, state, or federal civil rights laws relevant to the protection of purchasers or sellers of real estate or, if the applicant has been so adjudged, at least two years have passed since the court decision and the superintendent has disregarded the adjudication because the applicant has proven, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the applicant's activities and employment record since the adjudication show that the applicant is honest and truthful, and there is no basis in fact for believing that the applicant will again violate the laws;
(3) Has not, during any period for which the applicant was licensed under this chapter or any former section of the Revised Code applicable to licensed foreign real estate dealers or salespersons, violated any provision of, or any rule adopted pursuant to, this chapter or that section, or, if the applicant has violated any such provision or rule, has established to the satisfaction of the superintendent that the applicant will not again violate the provision or rule.
(D) Every salesperson of foreign real estate shall be licensed by the superintendent of real estate and shall be employed only by the licensed foreign real estate dealer specified on the salesperson's license.
(E) If the superintendent finds that the applicant appears to be qualified to act as a foreign real estate salesperson, and has fully complied with the provisions of this chapter, and that the dealer in the application is a licensed foreign real estate dealer, the superintendent, upon payment of the fees prescribed by section 4735.15 of the Revised Code, shall issue a license to the applicant authorizing the applicant to act as a salesperson for the dealer named in the application.
Last updated October 9, 2021 at 5:25 AM