Section 4737.043 | Exemptions from requirements.
(A) The donation of articles to nonprofit organizations or to any other person, on the condition that the person donating the articles receives no payment or any other valuable consideration in exchange for or due to donating the articles;
(B) The sale or donation of common recycled matter;
(C) Sales transacted between a scrap metal dealer and an organization that is exempt from federal taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986," 100 Stat. 285, 26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3), as amended, and that collects, for its own fundraising purposes, scrap ferrous and nonferrous metals for recycling rather than disposal;
(D) Sales transacted between a scrap metal dealer and a government unit or another business, including a demolition company, public utility company, or another scrap metal dealer, on the condition that the government unit or business satisfies the following criteria:
(1) In the course of providing the government unit's or business's services to others or maintaining the government unit's or business's property, whether onsite or offsite, the government unit or business generates scrap ferrous and nonferrous metals for recycling rather than disposal.
(2) If the sales transaction involves a government unit, reference to the government unit as a bona fide unit of government can be readily found by the public.
(3) If the sales transaction involves a business, the business satisfies one of the following criteria:
(a) The business is registered with the secretary of state.
(b) The business has been issued a license under section 5739.17 of the Revised Code.
(c) The business advertises its services in a newspaper of general circulation once a week for not less than six consecutive months or provides a receipt showing payment for such advertising, a telephone book, electronic media that is available to the public, or some other type of media that is owned and operated by a person other than the business and, if an individual operates the business, the individual advertising the business has a specific place of business that is not the individual's permanent home residence.
(4) The government unit provides proof of compliance with division (D)(2) of this section or the business provides proof of compliance with division (D)(3) of this section to the scrap metal dealer with whom the government unit or business transacts business.
(E) Sales transacted between a scrap metal dealer and a person whose primary business is to create products that result in bulk quantities of ferrous and nonferrous metal used for recycling rather than disposal.
(F) Sales of catalytic converters transacted between a scrap metal dealer and a motor vehicle dealer as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 11, 2008 – Senate Bill 171, 127th General Assembly [ View September 11, 2008 Version ]