Section 4741.01 | Veterinarian definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(A) "Animal" means any animal other than a human being and includes fowl, birds, fish, and reptiles, wild or domestic, living or dead.
(B) The "practice of veterinary medicine" means the practice of any person who performs any of the following actions:
(1) Diagnoses, prevents, or treats any disease, illness, pain, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical, mental, or dental condition of any animal;
(2) Administers to or performs any medical or surgical technique on any animal that has any disease, illness, pain, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical, mental, or dental condition or performs a surgical procedure on any animal;
(3) Prescribes, applies, or dispenses any drug, medicine, biologic, anesthetic, or other therapeutic or diagnostic substance, or applies any apparatus for any disease, illness, pain, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical, mental, or dental condition of any animal;
(4) Uses complementary, alternative, and integrative therapies on animals;
(5) Renders professional advice or recommendation by any means, including telephonic or other electronic communication with regard to any activity described in divisions (B)(1) to (4) of this section;
(6) Represents the person's self, directly or indirectly, publicly or privately, as having the ability and willingness to perform an act described in divisions (B)(1) to (4) of this section;
(7) Uses any words, letters, abbreviations, or titles in such connection and under such circumstances as to induce the belief that the person using them is engaged in the practice of veterinary medicine.
(C) "Specialist" means a licensed veterinarian who is certified by a veterinary specialty board of a professional veterinary association recognized by rule of the state veterinary medical licensing board.
(D) "Veterinary supervision" means instruction and directions by a licensed veterinarian on the premises or by a licensed veterinarian who is readily available to communicate with a person requiring supervision.
(E) "Veterinary student" means a student enrolled in a college of veterinary medicine or a veterinary technology college approved by the board and who is working with a licensed veterinarian.
(F) "Registered veterinary technician" means a person who is a graduate of a veterinary technology college approved by the state veterinary medical licensing board, has successfully passed an examination approved by the board, and maintains registration eligibility status in accordance with rules adopted by the board.
(G) "Animal aide" means a person who is employed by a licensed veterinarian and supervised by a licensed veterinarian or a registered veterinary technician to perform duties such as record keeping, animal restraint, and such other duties that the board, by rule, establishes. In adopting the rules, the board shall include rules regarding the degree of supervision required for each duty. The rules shall be consistent with generally accepted standards of veterinary medical practice.
(H) "Advertising" means any manner, method, means, or activity by which a practicing veterinarian, a practicing veterinarian's partners, or associates, or any information in reference to veterinary science, is made known to the public through any use of motion pictures, newspapers, magazines, books, radio, television announcements, or any other manner, method, means, or activity which commercially publicizes the professional image of the veterinarian.
(I) "Embryo transfer" means the removal of an embryo ovum from the reproductive tract of an animal and its transfer to the reproductive tract of another animal for the purpose of gestation and birth.
(J) "Veterinary consultant" means a veterinarian who is not licensed in this state and who provides advice and counsel to a requesting veterinarian licensed in this state in regard to the treatment, diagnosis, or health care of an animal or animals in a specific case.
(K) "Direct veterinary supervision" means a licensed veterinarian is in the immediate area and within audible range, visual range, or both, of a patient and the person administering to the patient.
(L) "Allied medical support" means a licensed dentist, physician, chiropractor, or physical therapist who is in good standing as determined under Chapter 4715., 4731., 4734., or 4755. of the Revised Code, as applicable.
(M) "Veterinary-client-patient-relationship" means a relationship that meets the requirements of section 4741.04 of the Revised Code.
(N) "Licensed veterinarian" means a person licensed by the board to practice veterinary medicine.
(O) "Client" means the patient's owner, owner's agent, or other person responsible for the patient.
(P) "Veterinary technology" means the science and art of providing professional support to veterinarians.
(Q) "Patient" means an animal that is examined or treated by a licensed veterinarian.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 12, 2006 – House Bill 458 - 126th General Assembly [ View October 12, 2006 Version ]