Section 4747.10 | Permit qualifications.
Each person currently engaged in training to become a licensed hearing aid dealer or fitter shall apply to the state speech and hearing professionals board for a hearing aid dealer's and fitter's trainee permit. The board shall issue to each applicant within thirty days of receipt of a properly completed application and payment of an application fee set by the board in rules adopted under section 4747.04 of the Revised Code, a trainee permit if such applicant meets all of the following criteria:
(A) Is at least eighteen years of age;
(B) Is the holder of a diploma from an accredited high school or a certificate of high school equivalence issued under section 3301.80 of the Revised Code;
(C) Is free of contagious or infectious disease.
The board shall not deny a trainee permit issued under this section to any individual based on the individual's past criminal history unless the denial is in accordance with section 9.79 of the Revised Code.
In considering a renewal of an individual's trainee permit, the board shall not consider any conviction or plea of guilty prior to the issuance of the initial trainee permit. However, the board may consider a conviction or plea of guilty if it occurred after the individual was initially granted the trainee permit, or after the most recent trainee permit renewal. The board shall comply with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code when denying an individual for a trainee permit or renewal. Additionally, the board may grant an individual a conditional trainee permit that lasts for one year. After the one-year period has expired, the permit is no longer considered conditional, and the individual shall be considered to be granted a full trainee permit.
Each trainee permit issued by the board expires one year from the date it was first issued, and may be renewed once if the trainee has not successfully completed the qualifying requirements for licensing as a hearing aid dealer or fitter before the expiration date of such permit. The board shall issue a renewed permit to each applicant upon receipt of a properly completed application and payment of a renewal fee set by the board in rules adopted under section 4747.04 of the Revised Code. No person holding a trainee permit shall engage in the practice of dealing in or fitting of hearing aids except while under supervision by a licensed hearing aid dealer or fitter.
Last updated September 22, 2023 at 3:23 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 28, 2012 – Senate Bill 337 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 28, 2012 Version ]
- September 14, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 113 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 14, 2016 Version ]
- January 21, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View January 21, 2018 Version ]
- April 5, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 420 - 132nd General Assembly [ View April 5, 2019 Version ]
- October 9, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 263 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 9, 2021 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]
- December 29, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View December 29, 2023 Version ]