Section 4761.032 | Respiratory care advisory council.
(A) The state medical board shall appoint a respiratory care advisory council for the purpose of advising the board on issues relating to the practice of respiratory care. The advisory council shall consist of not more than seven individuals knowledgeable in the area of respiratory care.
A majority of the council members shall be individuals licensed under this chapter who are actively engaged in the practice of respiratory care. The board shall include all of the following on the council:
(1) One physician who is a member of the state medical board;
(2) One physician who has clinical training and experience in pulmonary disease;
(3) One individual who is not affiliated with any health care profession, who shall be appointed to represent the interest of consumers.
The Ohio state medical association, or its successor organization, may nominate not more than three individuals for consideration by the board in appointing the physician member described in division (A)(2) of this section.
The Ohio society for respiratory care, or its successor organization, may nominate not more than three individuals for consideration by the board in appointing any member of the council other than the physician members described in divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section.
(B) Not later than ninety days after January 21, 2018, the board shall make initial appointments to the council. Initial members shall serve terms of office of one, two, or three years, as selected by the board. Thereafter, terms of office shall be for three years, with each term ending on the same day of the same month as the term that it succeeds. A council member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until a successor is appointed and takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. Each council member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed.
(C) Members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in performing their official duties.
(D) The council shall meet at least four times each year and at such other times as may be necessary to carry out its responsibilities.
(E) The council may submit to the board recommendations concerning all of the following:
(1) Requirements for issuing a license to practice as a respiratory care professional or as a limited permit holder, including the educational and experience requirements that must be met to receive the license or permit;
(2) Existing and proposed rules pertaining to the practice of respiratory care and the administration and enforcement of this chapter;
(3) Standards for the approval of educational programs required to qualify for licensure and continuing education programs for licensure renewal;
(4) Policies related to the issuance and renewal of licenses and limited permits;
(5) Fees for the issuance and renewal of a license to practice respiratory care as a licensee or as a limited permit holder;
(6) Standards of practice and ethical conduct in the practice of respiratory care;
(7) The safe and effective practice of respiratory care, including scope of practice and minimal standards of care.