Section 4779.02 | License required.
(A) Except as provided in division (B) or (C) of this section, no person shall practice or represent that the person is authorized to practice orthotics, prosthetics, or pedorthics unless the person holds a current, valid license issued or renewed under this chapter.
(B) Division (A) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) An individual who holds a current, valid license, certificate, or registration issued under Chapter 4723., 4729., 4730., 4731., 4734., or 4755. of the Revised Code and is practicing within the individual's scope of practice under statutes and rules regulating the individual's profession;
(2) An individual who practices orthotics, prosthetics, or pedorthics as an employee of the federal government and is engaged in the performance of duties prescribed by statutes and regulations of the United States;
(3) An individual who provides orthotic, prosthetic, or pedorthic services under the supervision of a licensed orthotist, prosthetist, or pedorthist in accordance with section 4779.04 of the Revised Code;
(4) An individual who provides orthotic, prosthetic, or pedorthic services as part of an educational, certification, or residency program approved by the Ohio occupational therapy, physical therapy, and athletic trainers board under sections 4779.25 to 4779.27 of the Revised Code;
(5) An individual who provides orthotic, prosthetic, or pedorthic services under the direct supervision of an individual authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery.
(C) Division (A) of this section does not prohibit an individual who is not licensed under this chapter to practice prosthetics or orthotics and prosthetics from engaging in the 3-D printing of open-source prosthetic kits if the individual has been granted the authority to engage in that activity by the Ohio occupational therapy, physical therapy, and athletic trainers board under section 4779.40 of the Revised Code. Such an individual shall not represent that the individual is authorized to practice prosthetics or orthotics and prosthetics under this chapter.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 6, 2001 – House Bill 94, 124th General Assembly [ View June 6, 2001 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – House Bill 326, 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- January 21, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View January 21, 2018 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]