Skip to main content
Back To Top Top Back To Top
The Legislative Service Commission staff updates the Revised Code on an ongoing basis, as it completes its act review of enacted legislation. Updates may be slower during some times of the year, depending on the volume of enacted legislation.

Section 505.27 | Collection, transfer, and disposal of solid wastes.


(A)(1) Boards of township trustees, either severally or jointly, may provide, maintain, and operate facilities for the collection, transfer, recycling, and disposal of solid wastes or may enter into written contracts with the proper municipal or county authorities or with independent contractors for such services for the township or for a waste disposal district as provided in section 505.28 of the Revised Code.

(2)(a) If a board of township trustees enters into a contract with an independent contractor under division (A)(1) of this section, the contract may provide that the independent contractor is the exclusive provider of any or all of the services described in that division for the township or the waste disposal district. If the contract so provides, both of the following apply:

(i) The contract shall be entered into only by competitive bidding.

(ii) No other independent contractor or other person or entity shall provide, in the township or waste disposal district, the services agreed to in the contract during the contract period.

(b) Whoever violates division (A)(2)(a)(ii) of this section shall be fined one hundred fifty dollars for the first offense and five hundred dollars for each subsequent offense. Each service provided in violation of that division constitutes a separate offense. Fines collected under that division shall be paid into the waste collection fund established under division (A) of section 505.31 of the Revised Code.

(B) When so required by rules adopted under division (G)(2) of section 343.01 of the Revised Code, a board of township trustees, before constructing, enlarging, or modifying a solid waste facility as defined in section 3734.01 of the Revised Code, shall obtain approval for the facility from the board of county commissioners of the county or board of directors of the joint solid waste management district, or board of trustees of a regional solid waste management authority if such has been formed under section 343.011 of the Revised Code, having jurisdiction for compliance with the initial or amended solid waste management plan of the district approved under section 3734.521, 3734.55, or 3734.56 of the Revised Code.

Available Versions of this Section