Section 509.15 | Fees of constables.
The following fees and expenses shall be taxed as costs, collected from the judgment debtor, and paid to the general fund of the appropriate township or district as compensation due for services rendered by township constables or members of the police force of a township police district or joint police district:
(A) Serving and making return of each of the following:
(1) Order to commit to jail, order on jailer for prisoner, or order of ejectment, including copies to complete service, one dollar for each defendant named therein;
(2) Search warrant or warrant of arrest, for each person named in the writ, five dollars;
(3) Writ of attachment of property, except for purpose of garnishment, twenty dollars;
(4) Writ of attachment for the purpose of garnishment, five dollars;
(5) Writ of possession or restitution, twenty dollars;
(6) Attachment for contempt, for each person named in the writ, three dollars;
(7) Writ of replevin, twenty dollars;
(8) Summons and writs, subpoena, summons of jurors, and notice to garnishee, including copies to complete service, three dollars for each person named therein;
(9) Execution against property or person, eighty cents, and six per cent of all money thus collected;
(10) Any other writ, order, or notice required by law, for each person named therein, including copies to complete service, three dollars for the first name and fifty cents for each additional name.
(B) Mileage for the distance actually and necessarily traveled in serving and returning any of the preceding writs, orders, and notices, fifty cents for the first mile and for each additional mile, twenty cents;
(C) For attending a criminal case during the trial or hearing and having charge of prisoners, each case, two dollars and fifty cents, but, when so acting, such constable shall not be entitled to a witness fee if called upon to testify;
(D) For attending civil court during a jury trial, each case, two dollars;
(E) For attending civil court during a trial without jury, each case, one dollar and fifty cents;
(F) The actual amount paid solely for the transportation, meals, and lodging of prisoners, and for the moving and storage of goods and the care of animals taken on any legal process, such expense shall be specifically itemized on the back of the writs and sworn to;
(G) For summoning and swearing appraisers, each case, two dollars;
(H) For advertising property for sale, by posting, taken on any legal process, one dollar;
(I) For taking and making return of any bond required by law, eighty cents.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this section, if any comparable fee or expense specified under section 311.17 of the Revised Code is increased to an amount greater than that set forth in this section, the board of township trustees, board of trustees of the township police district, or joint police district board, as appropriate, may require that the amount taxed as costs under this section equal the amount specified under section 311.17 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- May 22, 2012 – House Bill 268 - 129th General Assembly [ View May 22, 2012 Version ]