Section 5104.037 | Tuberculosis screening, testing of prospective employees.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Active tuberculosis" has the same meaning as in section 339.71 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Latent tuberculosis" means tuberculosis that has been demonstrated by a positive reaction to a tuberculosis test but has no clinical, bacteriological, or radiographic evidence of active tuberculosis.
(3) "Licensed health professional" means any of the following:
(a) A physician authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery;
(b) A physician assistant who holds a current, valid license to practice as a physician assistant issued under Chapter 4730. of the Revised Code;
(c) A certified nurse practitioner as defined in section 4723.01 of the Revised Code;
(d) A clinical nurse specialist as defined in section 4723.01 of the Revised Code.
(4) "Tuberculosis control unit" means the county tuberculosis control unit designated by a board of county commissioners under section 339.72 of the Revised Code or the district tuberculosis control unit designated pursuant to an agreement entered into by two or more boards of county commissioners under that section.
(5) "Tuberculosis test" means either of the following:
(a) A two-step Mantoux tuberculin skin test;
(b) A blood assay for m. tuberculosis.
(B) Before employing a person as an administrator or employee, for the purpose of tuberculosis screening, each child day-care center shall determine if the person has done both of the following:
(1) Resided in a country identified by the world health organization as having a high burden of tuberculosis;
(2) Arrived in the United States within the five years immediately preceding the date of application for employment.
(C) If the person meets the criteria described in division (B) of this section, the center shall require the person to undergo a tuberculosis test before employment. If the result of the test is negative, the center may employ the person.
(D) If the result of any tuberculosis test performed as described in division (C) of this section is positive, the center shall require the person to undergo additional testing for tuberculosis, which may include a chest radiograph or the collection and examination of specimens.
(1) If additional testing indicates active tuberculosis, then until the person is no longer infectious as determined by the county tuberculosis unit, the center shall not employ the person or, if employed, shall not allow the person to be physically present at the center's location.
For purposes of this section, evidence that a person is no longer infectious shall consist of a written statement to that effect signed by a representative of the tuberculosis control unit.
(2) If additional testing indicates latent tuberculosis, then until the person submits to the program evidence that the person is receiving treatment as prescribed by a licensed health professional, the preschool program shall not employ the person or, if employed, shall not allow the person to be physically present at the program's location. Once the person submits to the program evidence that the person is in the process of completing a tuberculosis treatment regimen as prescribed by a licensed health professional, the preschool program may employ the person and allow the person to be physically present at the program's location so long as periodic evidence of compliance with the treatment regimen is submitted in accordance with rules adopted under section 3701.146 of the Revised Code.
For purposes of this section, evidence that a person is in the process of completing and is compliant with a tuberculosis treatment regimen shall consist of a written statement to that effect signed by the tuberculosis control unit that is overseeing the person's treatment.