Section 5123.45 | Program for issuing of certificates.
(A) The department of developmental disabilities shall establish a program under which the department issues certificates to the following:
(1) Developmental disabilities personnel, for purposes of meeting the requirement of division (D)(1) of section 5123.42 of the Revised Code to obtain a certificate or certificates to administer medications and perform health-related activities pursuant to the authority granted under division (C) of that section;
(2) Registered nurses, for purposes of meeting the requirement of division (B) of section 5123.441 of the Revised Code to obtain a certificate or certificates to provide the developmental disabilities personnel training courses developed under section 5123.43 of the Revised Code.
(B) To receive a certificate issued under this section, developmental disabilities personnel and registered nurses shall successfully complete the applicable training course or courses and meet all other applicable requirements established in rules adopted pursuant to this section. The department shall issue the appropriate certificate or certificates to developmental disabilities personnel and registered nurses who meet the requirements for the certificate or certificates.
(C) Certificates issued to developmental disabilities personnel are valid for one year and may be renewed. Certificates issued to registered nurses are valid for two years and may be renewed.
To be eligible for renewal, developmental disabilities personnel and registered nurses shall meet the applicable continued competency requirements and continuing education requirements specified in rules adopted under division (D) of this section. In the case of registered nurses, continuing nursing education completed in compliance with the license renewal requirements established under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code may be counted toward meeting the continuing education requirements established in the rules adopted under division (D) of this section.
(D) In accordance with section 5123.46 of the Revised Code, the department shall adopt rules that establish all of the following:
(1) Requirements that developmental disabilities personnel and registered nurses must meet to be eligible to take a training course, including having sufficient written and oral English skills to communicate effectively and reliably with patients, their families, and other medical professionals;
(2) Standards that must be met to receive a certificate, including requirements pertaining to an applicant's criminal background;
(3) Procedures to be followed in applying for a certificate and issuing a certificate;
(4) Standards and procedures for renewing a certificate, including requirements for continuing education and, in the case of developmental disabilities personnel who administer prescribed medications, standards that require successful demonstration of proficiency in administering prescribed medications;
(5) Any other standards or procedures the department considers necessary to administer the certification program.
The Legislative Service Commission presents the text of this section as a composite of the section as amended by multiple acts of the General Assembly. This presentation recognizes the principle stated in R.C. 1.52(B) that amendments are to be harmonized if reasonably capable of simultaneous operation.
Last updated March 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2011 – House Bill 153 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2011 Version ]
- October 12, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 483 (GA 131), House Bill 158 (GA 131) [ View October 12, 2016 Version ]
- December 29, 2023 – Amended by Senate Bill 131 - 134th General Assembly [ View December 29, 2023 Version ]