Section 5123.691 | Admission to specialized treatment unit for minors.
(A) As used in this section, "mental illness" has the same meaning as in section 5122.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) The managing officer of an institution, with the concurrence of the chief program director, may admit into a specialized treatment unit for minors a minor ages ten to seventeen who is in behavior crisis and has serious behavioral challenges if one of the following applies:
(1) The minor has an intellectual disability.
(2) The minor has autism spectrum disorder.
(3) The minor has a dual diagnosis of an intellectual disability and mental illness.
(4) The minor has a dual diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder and mental illness.
(C)(1) The admission of a minor into a specialized treatment unit shall be based upon the availability of beds at the institution and the clinical treatment needs of the minor.
(2) The department of developmental disabilities may establish other criteria for admitting a minor into a specialized treatment unit.
(D) Before a minor may be admitted into a specialized treatment unit, the minor's parent or legal guardian, the county board of developmental disabilities, and the department shall enter into a memorandum of understanding setting forth the roles and responsibilities of each of the parties regarding the care and treatment of the minor and specifying the duration of admission in the specialized treatment unit.
(E)(1) The initial duration of admission for a minor in a specialized treatment unit shall not exceed one hundred eighty days.
(2) The parent or legal guardian of a minor may petition the department to extend the duration of a minor's admission in a specialized treatment unit at least thirty days before the expiration of the minor's term of admission in the specialized treatment unit. The department, in its discretion, may grant or deny a petition for extended admission, but may not extend a minor's duration of admission in a specialized treatment unit beyond one year.
(3) Upon the expiration of a minor's term of admission in a specialized treatment unit, the minor shall be returned to the care of the minor's parent or legal guardian.
(F) The managing officer of an institution may discharge a minor from a specialized treatment unit in accordance with division (C) of section 5123.69 of the Revised Code. The uniform procedures of discharge established by rules adopted under division (G)(7) of section 5123.19 of the Revised Code shall not apply to the discharge of a minor from a specialized treatment unit.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 17, 2019 – Enacted by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]