Section 5501.11 | Department of transportation with respect to highways.
(A) The functions of the department of transportation with respect to highways shall be to do all of the following:
(1) Establish state highways on existing roads, streets, and new locations and construct, reconstruct, widen, resurface, maintain, and repair the state system of highways and the bridges and culverts thereon;
(2) Cooperate with the federal government in the establishment, construction, reconstruction, improvement, maintenance, and repair of post roads and other roads designated by the federal authorities;
(3) Conduct research and cooperate with organizations conducting research in matters pertaining to highway design, construction, maintenance, material, safety, and traffic;
(4) Cooperate with the counties, municipal corporations, townships, and other subdivisions of the state in the establishment, construction, reconstruction, maintenance, repair, and improvement of the public roads and bridges.
(B) To fulfill its functions under division (A) of this section, the department shall develop and maintain a pavement management system. The system shall inventory and evaluate basic road and bridge conditions throughout the state highway system and develop strategies to improve those conditions, minimize annual maintenance of the state highway system, and ensure that a disproportionate percentage of the roads and bridges on the state highway system are not due for replacement or major repair at the same time. The department shall identify and promote longer pavement life spans to lessen user delays and the disruption to traffic on the state highway system.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 29, 2005 – House Bill 68, 126th General Assembly [ View June 29, 2005 Version ]