Section 5502.26 | Countywide emergency management agency.
(A) The board of county commissioners of a county and the chief executive of all or a majority of the other political subdivisions within the county may enter into a written agreement establishing a countywide emergency management agency.
A representative from each political subdivision entering into the agreement, selected by the political subdivision's chief executive, shall constitute a countywide advisory group for the purpose of appointing an executive committee under this section through which the countywide agency shall implement emergency management in the county in accordance with this section and for the purpose of advising the executive committee on matters pertaining to countywide emergency management. The executive committee shall consist of at least the following seven members: one county commissioner representing the board of county commissioners entering into the agreement; five chief executives representing the municipal corporations and townships entering into the agreement; and one nonelected representative. The countywide agreement shall specify how many additional members, if any, shall serve on the executive committee and their manner of selection.
The agency shall be supported financially by the political subdivisions entering into the countywide agreement. The executive committee shall appoint a director/coordinator of emergency management who shall pursue a professional development training program in accordance with rules adopted under section 5502.25 of the Revised Code. The director/coordinator of emergency management may be an official or employee of any political subdivision entering into the countywide agreement, except that the director/coordinator shall not be the chief executive of any such political subdivision.
A countywide emergency management agency organized under this section shall establish a program for emergency management that:
(1) Is in accordance with sections 5502.21 to 5502.51 of the Revised Code, rules adopted under those sections, local ordinances pertaining to emergency management, the "Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act," 88 Stat. 143, 42 U.S.C. 5121, et. seq., as amended, and all applicable rules and regulations adopted under that act;
(2) Includes, without limitation, development of an all-hazards emergency operations plan that has been coordinated with all agencies, boards, and divisions having emergency management functions within the county;
(3) Includes the preparation and conduct of an annual exercise of the county's all-hazards emergency operations plan;
(4) Is applicable to all political subdivisions entering into the countywide agreement.
The director/coordinator of emergency management for a countywide agency organized under this section shall be responsible for coordinating, organizing, administering, and operating emergency management in accordance with the agency's program established under this section, subject to the direction and control of the executive committee. All agencies, boards, and divisions having emergency management functions within each political subdivision within the county shall cooperate in the development of the all-hazards emergency operations plan and shall cooperate in the preparation and conduct of the annual exercise.
(B) Nothing in this section requires any political subdivision that is located within a county that has entered into a written agreement under this section establishing a countywide emergency management agency to enter into that agreement, provided that the political subdivision has established a program for emergency management in accordance with section 5502.271 of the Revised Code.
(C) A countywide emergency management agency shall be considered a county board and shall receive the services of the auditor, treasurer, and prosecuting attorney of the county in the same manner as other county agencies, boards, or divisions.
Available Versions of this Section
- May 15, 2002 – Senate Bill 184, 124th General Assembly [ View May 15, 2002 Version ]