Section 5537.051 | Responsibility for maintenance and repair and replacement of failed grade separations.
(A)(1) In any county that as of January 1, 2011, had closed one or more roads as a result of grade separation failure at intersections of a turnpike project with a county or township road, the Ohio turnpike and infrastructure commission is responsible for the major maintenance and repair and replacement of failed grade separations. The governmental entity with jurisdiction over the county or township road is responsible for routine maintenance of such failed grade separations.
(2) This section does not apply to any grade separation at intersections of a turnpike project with a county or township road except as described in division (A)(1) of this section.
(3) Major maintenance and repair and replacement of aforementioned failed grade separations shall commence not later than July 1, 2011, and be completed before December 31, 2014.
(B) As used in this section:
(1) "Major maintenance and repair and replacement" relates to all elements constructed as part of or required for a grade separation, including bridges, pile, foundations, substructures, abutments, piers, superstructures, approach slabs, slopes, embankments, fences, and appurtenances.
(2) "Routine maintenance" includes, without limitation, clearing debris, sweeping, snow and ice removal, wearing surface improvements, marking for traffic control, box culverts, drainage facilities including headwalls and underdrains, inlets, catch basins and grates, guardrails, minor and emergency repairs to railing and appurtenances, and emergency patching.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 1, 2013 – House Bill 51 - 130th General Assembly [ View July 1, 2013 Version ]