Section 5537.18 | Applications for infrastructure project funding.
(A) The Ohio turnpike and infrastructure commission shall adopt rules establishing the procedures and criteria under which the commission may approve an application received from the director of transportation for infrastructure project funding under division (B) of this section. The rules shall require an infrastructure project to have an anticipated benefit to the system of public highways in the state of Ohio and transportation-related nexus with and relationship to the Ohio turnpike system and the Ohio turnpike and infrastructure system. The criteria included in the rules for determining if an infrastructure project has the required nexus and relationship to the Ohio turnpike system and the Ohio turnpike and infrastructure system and the criteria for approving an application for infrastructure project funding submitted by the director of transportation shall include the following:
(1) A physical proximity of the infrastructure project to and a direct or indirect physical connection between the infrastructure project and the Ohio turnpike system;
(2) The impact of the infrastructure project on traffic density, flow through, or capacity on the Ohio turnpike system;
(3) The impact of the infrastructure project on the Ohio turnpike system toll revenue or other revenues;
(4) The impact of the infrastructure project on the movement of goods and services on or in the area of the Ohio turnpike system; and
(5) The enhancement or improvement by and through the infrastructure project of access to, use of, and egress from the Ohio turnpike system and access to and from connected areas of population, commerce, and industry.
(B) The director of transportation may submit an application to the commission for infrastructure project funding. An application to the commission for infrastructure project funding, as submitted by the director, shall include only infrastructure projects that previously have been reviewed and recommended by the transportation review advisory council pursuant to the selection process followed by the council under Chapter 5512. of the Revised Code. In selecting infrastructure projects for which applications will be made to the commission for infrastructure project funding, the director shall consider the physical proximity of the project to the Ohio turnpike system. Not less than ninety per cent of the total cost of the infrastructure project funding requests submitted by the director of transportation to the commission shall be for infrastructure projects that are at least partially located within seventy-five miles of the Ohio turnpike system.
By rule, the director may establish guidelines under which an application may be made for infrastructure project funding that combines separate projects if the combination of projects is necessary to satisfy any funding threshold required for approval by the transportation review advisory council and the individual projects have a nexus to the Ohio turnpike system and also address a critical public safety concern or have a significant economic impact.
(C) The commission shall evaluate each application for infrastructure project funding submitted under division (B) of this section in accordance with the procedures and criteria established in rules adopted under division (A) of this section. A determination or approval made under this section is conclusive and incontestable.
(D) Nothing in this section shall interfere with the authority of the director of transportation under Chapter 5512. of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 1, 2013 – House Bill 51 - 130th General Assembly [ View July 1, 2013 Version ]