Section 5731.17 | Deductions - charitable bequests and transfers.
(A) For purposes of the tax levied by section 5731.02 of the Revised Code, the value of the taxable estate shall be determined by deducting from the value of the gross estate the amount of all bequests, legacies, devises, or transfers, including the interest which falls into any such bequest, legacy, devise or transfer as a result of an irrevocable disclaimer of a bequest, legacy, devise, transfer or power, if the disclaimer is made before the date prescribed for the filing of the estate tax return:
(1) To or for the use of the United States, any state, territory, any political subdivision thereof, or the District of Columbia, for exclusively public purposes;
(2) To or for the use of any corporation organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes, including the encouragement of art and the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private stockholder or individual, and no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation;
(3) To a trustee or trustees, or a fraternal society, order, or association operating under the lodge system, but only if such contributions or gifts are to be used by such trustee or trustees, or by such fraternal society, order, or association, exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, and no substantial part of the activities of such trustee or trustees, or of such fraternal society, order, or association, is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation;
(4) To or for the use of any veterans' organization incorporated by act of Congress, or of its departments or local chapters or posts, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
If any estate, succession, or inheritance taxes are, either by the terms of the will, by the law of the jurisdiction under which the estate is administered, or by the law of the jurisdiction imposing the particular tax, payable in whole or in part out of the bequests, legacies, or devises otherwise deductible under this section, then the amount deductible under this section shall be the amount of such bequests, legacies, or devises unreduced by the amount of such taxes.
(B) If, as of the date of a decedent's death, any bequest, legacy, devise or transfer for any of the purposes specified in division (A) of this section is dependent upon the performance of some act or the happening of a precedent event in order that it might become effective, no deduction is allowable unless the possibility that such bequest, legacy, devise or transfer will not become effective is so remote as to be negligible. The present value of a remainder, deferred payment or other limited interest shall be determined by the usual methods of valuation, including the use of tables of mortality and actuarial principles, under rules and regulations prescribed by the tax commissioner.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 1, 1968 – Senate Bill 326 - 107th General Assembly [ View July 1, 1968 Version ]