Section 5741.17 | Registration of sellers with tax commissioner.
(A)(1) Except as otherwise provided in divisions (A)(2), (3), and (4) of this section, every seller of tangible personal property or services who has substantial nexus with this state shall register with the tax commissioner and supply any information concerning the seller's contacts with this state that may be required by the commissioner.
(2) A seller who is licensed as a vendor pursuant to section 5739.17 of the Revised Code shall not be required to register with the commissioner pursuant to this section if all sales to consumers in this state are made under the authority of the seller's vendor's license.
(3) A seller is not required to register under this section if the seller has no contact with this state other than an agency relationship with a person engaged in the business of telemarketing in this state and engaged by the seller exclusively for the purpose of solicitation of customers in other states.
(4) A seller is not required to register under this section if the seller has no contact with this state other than the ownership of property that is located at the facility of a printer with which the seller has contracted for printing and that consists of the final printed product, property that becomes a part of the final printed product, or copy from which the final printed product is produced.
(B) A seller who does not have substantial nexus with this state may voluntarily register with the commissioner. A seller who voluntarily registers with the commissioner under this section is entitled to the same benefits and is subject to the same duties and requirements as a seller required to be registered with the commissioner under this chapter.
The commissioner shall maintain an alphabetical index of all sellers registered under this chapter and records of the use tax reported and paid. Upon request, this information shall be made available to the treasurer of state.
Last updated July 26, 2021 at 8:46 AM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- July 18, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View July 18, 2019 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]