Section 5924.57 | Effective date of sentences.
(A)(1) A forfeiture of pay or allowances or reduction in grade that is included in a sentence of a court-martial takes effect on the earlier of the date that is fourteen days after the date on which the sentence is adjudged or the date on which the sentence is approved by the convening authority.
(2) On application of an accused, the convening authority may defer a forfeiture of pay or allowances or reduction in grade that would otherwise become effective on the date that is fourteen days after the date on which the sentence is adjudged until the date on which the sentence is approved by the convening authority. The convening authority may at any time rescind a deferment granted under this division.
(3) A forfeiture of pay or allowances applies to pay or allowances accruing on and after the date on which the sentence takes effect.
(B) Any period of confinement included in a sentence of a court-martial begins to run from the date the sentence is adjudged by the court-martial, but periods during which the sentence to confinement is suspended or deferred shall be excluded in computing the service of the term of confinement.
(C) All other sentences of courts-martial are effective on the date ordered executed.
(D)(1) On application by an accused who is under sentence to confinement that has not been ordered executed, the convening authority or, if the accused is no longer under the convening authority's jurisdiction, the officer exercising general court-martial jurisdiction over the command to which the accused is currently assigned may in the officer's sole discretion defer service of the sentence to confinement. The deferment shall terminate when the sentence is ordered executed. The deferment may be rescinded at any time by the officer who granted it or, if the accused is no longer under the officer's jurisdiction, by the officer exercising general court-martial jurisdiction over the command to which the accused is currently assigned.
(2) In any case in which a court-martial sentences a person described in division (D)(3) of this section to confinement, the convening authority may defer the service of the sentence to confinement, without the consent of that person, until after the person has been permanently released to the armed forces by a state or foreign country referred to in that division.
(3) Division (D)(2) of this section applies to a person subject to this chapter who, while in the custody of a state or foreign country, is temporarily returned by that state or foreign country to the armed forces for trial by court-martial and after the court-martial is returned to that state or foreign country under the authority of a mutual agreement or treaty.
(4) As used in division (D)(3) of this section, "state" includes the District of Columbia and any state, commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States having a national guard.
(E) In any case in which a sentence to confinement has been ordered executed but in which review of the case under section 5924.64 of the Revised Code is pending, the adjutant general may defer further service of the sentence while the review is pending.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 28, 2012 – House Bill 490 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 28, 2012 Version ]