Section 5924.85 | Desertion.
(A) Any member of the organized militia who does any of the following is guilty of desertion:
(1) Without authority goes or remains absent from the member's unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away from the unit, organization, or place of duty permanently;
(2) Quits the member's unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service;
(3) Without being regularly separated from one of the forces of the organized militia enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another one of the forces of the organized militia without fully disclosing the fact that the member has not been regularly separated;
(4) Without being regularly separated from one of the forces of the organized militia enters any foreign armed services without the authorization of the United States.
(B) Any commissioned officer of the organized militia who, after tender of the commissioned officer's resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits the commissioned officer's post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.
(C) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 28, 2012 – House Bill 490 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 28, 2012 Version ]