Section 955.121 | Appointment of sheriff as county dog warden.
(A)(1) In lieu of appointing a county dog warden and deputies under section 955.12 of the Revised Code, a board of county commissioners may appoint the county sheriff to enforce sections 955.01 to 955.27 and 955.50 to 955.53 of the Revised Code. If a board chooses to appoint the county sheriff as the county dog warden, the board shall enter into a two-year written agreement with the sheriff for that purpose at the first meeting in a calendar year following a general election in which at least one of the members of the board was elected.
(2) The agreement may authorize both of the following:
(a) The sheriff to appoint sheriff's deputies or persons other than peace officers as deputy dog wardens;
(b) The transfer of any benefits accrued by employees who are transferred as a result of the county sheriff's being appointed as the county dog warden.
(B) Any dog warden and deputy dog wardens appointed under this section shall comply with both of the following:
(1) Any training requirements applicable to county dog wardens and deputy dog wardens appointed or employed under section 955.12 of the Revised Code;
(2) The requirements established in that section.
(C) If a county sheriff or a sheriff's deputies are appointed as a dog warden or deputy dog wardens under this section, references in this chapter and in Chapters 953., 956., and 959. of the Revised Code to "dog warden" and "deputy dog warden" shall be deemed to be replaced, respectively, with references to "sheriff" and "deputy sheriff."
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]